Dressing or Stuffing?

DaveB

Stuffing. I find it to be good only on day 1. Afterwards it goes downhill in flavor and I generally toss it if any is left.

I brine my bird. It is always totally defrosted.

Brown sugar. kosher salt. onions & garlic chopped into near mush. Skin rubbed with oil, sometimes ground pepper &a few other things. Butter under the skin. 45 minutes later rubbed with oil again. Been using canola with good success. Want to try avocado oil but need to experiment first.

45 minutes at 400 uncovered. then covered and I mean covered tight. Baked one hour at 350 for every 3 pounds of bird is ballpark. My old oven thermostat was unstable but new oven is crackerjack right every time. I use my butcher string to tie the bird up and make a handle plus I have a ten year old wire thing that serves as a perfect way to remove the bird from the pan. I check temps like a good boy but i managed to break my thermometer last Christmas and haven't bought a new one yet.

I take a Rapala 7" filet knife and give it 4 Workx belts of sharp. I generally just show it to the bird and it falls apart. Really makes for some nice cutting work.

From a few years ago:

Attachments

• SAM_1905.JPG
    SAM_1905.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 961

GMB54

Normally dressing with fresh oysters. When i was very young grandma made 2 dressings and often some was stuffing too. Well they were not really 2. Both were the same oyster/giblet mix. She just told everyone that one had oysters and the other didnt. I prefer dressing because i like the crispier top and you dont get much of that when its cooked in the bird.

BTW try leftover dressing or stuffing as a hush puppy or fritter. Crazy good with a little tiny shrimp added.

dralarms

BamaProud":v0zdgntk said:
Cornbread dressing. Usually a few variations one with oysters one with shrimp and one plain.

Why isn't dressing a normal side dish? Why only Thanksgiving?

My wife makes extra, we cut it up and vacuum seal and freeze it. I just finished off Easter's dressing last week. :super: :super:

Latest posts