Dove Hunting hours

Stalker

Why do shooting hours on the first day and all the TWRA sponsored shoots the first weekend always start at noon? I grew up in South Carolina and dove season was the start of all hunting seasons, getting up at 4:30am and going to breakfast, then shoot for a few hours and when it started getting hot we took a break for a bologna sandwhich and sweet tea. Then maybe a nap and back to the dove fields in the late evening. It seems here in TN the first weekend you spend 4 to 5 hours in the heat of the day waiting for the evening shoot. You may get a few shots off but mostly all you are doing is saving your spot for the late evening shoot...

mike243

its a family tradition,been that way for as long as i been hunting them,years ago all your freinds got together & set shoulder to shoulder on beer coolers er i mean drink coolers & that started the hunting season,nobody got mad if you shot their animal & many a freindship was started when you ran out of shells or beer er i mean drinks :) mike243

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Best I can remember the act of starting hunting at noon was every day of the season to give the doves one unmolested feeding opportunity.
Then it was then changed later to only opening day and never got changed for some reason.
I could be wrong though.

Hawk

TWRA recomended that all dove hunting begin in the AM and it would have been approved by the TWRC if someone had not attended the meeting and appealed to them to leave opening day as it had always been and they did just that.
That meeting was at Jackson and after the dove hunter's appeal TennBow presented a power point presentation appealing to the commision to approve hunting hogs with dogs statewide and they did not.

Latest posts