Dove hunting and early goose hunting?

98stratos

I have a spot that I hunt dove around a livestock pond and this year due to the very dry conditions we now have several geese (like 50+) that are staying around this pond and the surronding fields. Now I know that dove season and early goose season open on the same day. Is there a way that you can hunt both in the same field. Like maybe take one gun that has only steel shot and another for dove. Just curious thought it might be fun to shoot at a few of the big birds. Any thoughts?

98stratos

I don't guess I'll be doing that. Regular shells are high enough to shoot dove with. These are resident geese that are doing a pretty good job of riding our cattle field of what little grass is left. I'm not a waterfowl hunter and didn't really know what the rules were on that. Thanks for the info.

mike243

somebody posted about hunting the wma in knox co. for canada's in the morning & dove in the afternoon,i would shoot steel till 11;30 then hopefully put up the steel & change chokes for dove,i have done that before but got a goose only 1 time,mike243

mopar

iam hunting forks of the river WMA in knoxville opening day gonna goose hunt in the mornin and dove hunt in the afternoon ive got some #7 seel shot to dove hunt with
gonna goose hunt with winchester dryloc BBB
wont have to change chokes gonna use full choke with both

InfoMan

But you cannot possess the BBB while dove hunting. You have to put them in the truck and only have #4 or smaller shot while dove hunting.

mopar

yes i did know that already iam really up on all the rules and laws thats why iam taking steel only with me i know there will be some that bring steel for the goose and go back to ther truck and swap it out for lead to dove hunt i know your not supposed to have anything other than steel on you or in your vehicle while waterfowl hunting but there will be some that will do just that bring lead shot with them to dove hunt

Latest posts