Dogs for hunting turkeys?

Atchman2

I have a dog that is a complete moron when it comes to chasing deer, coyotes, turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, you name it he will chase it. I think he would be great to bust up turkeys! He is part hound and part Jack Russel and fast as lightning.

Ever heard of anyone using dogs to hunt turkeys in TN? Unless I missed it, it appears to be legal.

Atchman2

I'm going to have to find a way to pen up the dog once he breaks up the birds if I go. He is 1000% energy. I may have to put Jack Daniels in his water bowl. :D

I thought about using one of those things that duck hunters use for their dogs.

Southern Sportsman

I would love to try it one day. There are people with well trained turkey dogs that will sneek with the hunter, flush and scatter on command, and then lay down and stay motionless and hidden while the hunter calls the turkeys back. I wouldn't try it with an untrained spaz dog. He will break too early and scare the turkeys away rather than properly scattering them.

Atchman2

I'm not worried about the flushing, he does a good job on the geese that run around here. What bothers me is trying to hide him and get him to sit still.

He doesn't like coons, skunks, possums, coyotes, you name it he thinks he can take it on. He is especially good at chasing squirrels and retrieving them :D

Latest posts