Dog training expectations/advice

Bgoodman30

Need some advice on what to do next with my pup..? My last dog was raised and trained by my brother and I just hunted him after. So this is my first real dog.

A purchased the pup from a reputable breeder with champion bloodlines( his father was 2019 NFC) and paid a premium price for it.

I sent him off at 5 1/2 months for 4 months training. The trainer is one that came highly recommended in the Mid TN area.. Anyways after our few talks during his stay he said dog was doing "ok" but had a lot of "growing up to do".. In the latter part of his stay he said they were really "clicking".. He asked that I give them one more month and then maybe a refresher stay before duck season.,

When I picked the pup up he gave me a quick rundown and I was impressed at his heel, marking, casting, force fetch abilities. I tried to soak it all in but couldn't remember exactly how and the sequence of how he was handling but have the basics.

I asked about the refresher course plan he suggested and he said no sorry would be impossible now with his schedule... I tried calling the next couple days with a couple simple questions and no answer no call back. Texted his wife with no reply... Good riddance I guess?

I have been working the dog every morning at 6 am but I can't come close to replicating what he showed me that day... Really his training seems to be going backwards.. I have tried Youtube but just really having trouble. I sent him because training/ teaching maybe patience isn't one of my strong suits.

I don't know if I have unrealistic expectations, my kids fetch has ruined him, or maybe the pup is just a knucklehead?

Any advice would be appreciated? Or trainer recs that might be able to "finish" him or just shoot it to me straight that he doesn't have it?

Chaneylake

#1. When kids are playing with pup, the pups go word should be "happy". I do happies after every training session to wind pup back down. Pup will very quickly learn the "difference between work and play".
Please state what else you want to know and please keep it one question at a time.

Bgoodman30

#1. When kids are playing with pup, the pups go word should be "happy". I do happies after every training session to wind pup back down. Pup will very quickly learn the "difference between work and play".
Please state what else you want to know and please keep it one question at a time.

I say "Ok, that's all" to release him from work session and he definitely knows that. Just because that's the way we did it with my last dog. He has started to toss bumber at my feet and I can't get him to hold it.. I suspect its from my kids tennis ball play...

Trainer said "fetch" and he would do it and hold.. If I get him to pick it up he just drops it closer. I know he was trained to hold, force fetch but I am not sure how or if correction is from collar?

Chaneylake

I say "Ok, that's all" to release him from work session and he definitely knows that. Just because that's the way we did it with my last dog. He has started to toss bumber at my feet and I can't get him to hold it.. I suspect its from my kids tennis ball play...

Trainer said "fetch" and he would do it and hold.. If I get him to pick it up he just drops it closer. I know he was trained to hold, force fetch but I am not sure how or if correction is from collar?
Correction on fetch as follows.
Say "fetch hold" with no correction. If pup fails hit continuous button on collar. If trainer used ear pinch to force fetch then pinch ear instead of using collar. Pinch the ear and force pup down to bumper.
Are you familiar with the ear pinch?

Bgoodman30

Correction on fetch as follows.
Say "fetch hold" with no correction. If pup fails hit continuous button on collar. If trainer used ear pinch to force fetch then pinch ear instead of using collar. Pinch the ear and force pup down to bumper.
Are you familiar with the ear pinch?

By familiar I mean I watched it on Youtube.... I have been watching some Freddy King and Bill Hillman. I am not how he was trained on the "fetch" command.. Wish I knew..

Bgoodman30

where are you located? sounds like you paid to have your dog trained. but the trainer hasn't trained you.

Williamson cty. Yeah that's correct. He gave a rundown but it was a lot to take in. I regret not videoing now.

tickweed

Wish you where closer. Im in Madison County. Try and find a retriever training group near you, or, find a trainer, offer to help him in return for advice. Kinda odd, you paid this guy to train your dog, but he cant find time to help you. Its really nothing to learning how to handle a dog, but everyone has to learn. Is you dog force fetched? Be careful if you dont remember the correct way to handle your dog. You can teach bad habits fast. At four months, your dog is probably seasoned level at best.

Last edited:

BlackEagle1

I really don't have much to add here. In my experience repetition and consistency are important. If you use different words or signals your pretty much reprogramming. I would say that your pup has plenty of time left before his training is done (based purely on age). The stuff I do on really young pups is easy enough using your choice of dvds and online resources that are now available. I don't play fetch with young pups and use just a couple "happy" throws at the ends of sessions. Older dogs play but never with work commands or bumpers. As for force fetch I use ear pinch with little collar work but I enforce it at all times. There's a point where they just won't spit it out anymore. When they get to this point you can make them bring you the tv remote or whatever is outta reach….
Oh and I can recommend a guy that can fix you up and will encourage you to be at every training session possible.

Last edited:

whwood21

Short sessions with the known commands if you can get them in an email or recall them, 20 minutes is plenty of time morning and evening especially on a young dog. Or reprogram with your commands as stated above but it will take time. The dog will figure it out with time, important. If he's only a year old, wow he was FF'ed early it sounds like. Sounds like you are expecting an out of the box working dog at a very young age which does not exist (we all get excited and have a little bit of that), he has years to grow up and perfect his art. I don't let people play fetch with my dog, no one is willing to play by the rules and they all want her to drop bumpers......sigh. Dokken has a great book for retriever training if you are looking for another reading source.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
I'm no expert in training have trained both my labs one is 9 and one is 18months shootme a pm with your phone number and I will give youa call tomorrow and try to talk you threw something to do that may help.

casjoker

The Middle TN retriever club has some solid members. Start there. Not sure who your trainer was but I would recommend Jody Ware Razor Sharp Retrievers. If you are ever in East TN/ Sweetwater area send me a PM and I will see if I can help. Currently, I have one dog in force fetch. Did the trainer teach hold during force fetch? If the dog was doing everything right when you picked it up then the issues should be fixable.

Duck dogn

I'm not a pro or claim to be but I live in mt.pleasant and I trained my three labs. I'd be willing for you to bring him by and see if we can figure out what he was taught. My dogs only know what words Mean that I taught them its funny watching my little girl tell them go get it for fetch he sets there like what are u telling me. You really need to get in touch with trainer to get words used like back or his name for release or fetch. That would help a ton. My dog was trained to stop on a whistle but the whistle had a ball in it. Well I stepped on it in the boat. Needless to say my new whistle has the ball inside glued still lol.

Latest posts