Does the 2 buck rule change your shot decision?

gobblinfool

This thread isn't meant to be a rehash or a slamming of the new rule.....just wanted to hear your thoughts...

Personally, yes for me, why, in the past I tried shooting a 2.5 or older during archery, knowing that I still had two tags to fill, but now I am more choosier (SP), primarily because I want a buck tag for Gun season. My goal this year is to only shoot if 3.5 or older with archery, otherwise I want to shoot mature does.

I have a KY tag/bonus still left.....have filled one doe tag opening weekend. My goal there is 3.5 or better whether it be archery or rifle. I had a forky in velvet at 10yds for 30 minutes on opening weekend.....shot over him to kill his sister.

I got the Ft Campbell "Tag", so if I get a quality buck in TN, I may go there some.

Ultimate goal......to kill as many deer as possible, to help out anyone in need of food.

My father in law just contacted me and said he has a friend that wants me to come down and shoot as many as possible.

People are begging me to shoot deer, but I want to make sure I am taking mature does....hard to get people to understand you cant eradicate their deer problem....even have had people asked why I am using a bow vs gun.......

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I have yet to kill a buck with my bow, so I plan on taking one if offered a decent shot. I won't wait on that big one that may or may not show up this time of year. If I do take one, the second will be a big one.

Brownie

Doesn't change a thing for me. I'm very much a "depends how I feel that day" Hunter. There are days I wouldn't shoot a deer unless it's a monster buck and other days I may feel like shooting anything except for a fawn. I will not shoot a fawn. Done it and didn't like the way it felt although it sure ate well. I've never limited out under the 3 buck limit and probably won't with 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doubledownranch

Doesn't change a thing for me. I only trophy hunt so I could really care less about the buck limit. The chances of me drawing back and shooting more than 2 deer that meet my personal criteria is about 1 in a 1000 in the areas I hunt. That's how I choose to hunt, to each is own. I hope everyone kills whatever they desire.

Os2 Outdoors

I killed a buck opening day.

It has changed my mind set now. It'll have to be a 140" plus for me to pick up my bow now and i do have multiple out of state tags as well. Don't want to end my TN chase on nothing that's not great.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

easy45

I've always been selective, only taking 4.5 or older bucks unless of course its a world class 3.5, I ain't passing that up but yea it does change it a little, I have an eight point right now on one of my farms that is at least 4.5, maybe 5.5 and with 3 tags I would shoot him first chance I got but with 2 tags and him lacking as far as antler size, I may not.

WRbowhunter

yes it has. with the 3 buck rule if I had a decent 6 pointer walk out an arrow would fly. now I am nut sure what I would do. the thought of having 3 months of hunting with only one buck tag would have me pretty bummed out.

redhunterZ71

WRbowhunter":3t1jifjk said:
yes it has. with the 3 buck rule if I had a decent 6 pointer walk out an arrow would fly. now I am nut sure what I would do. the thought of having 3 months of hunting with only one buck tag would have me pretty bummed out.
I'm pretty bummed out knowing I have 2 buck tags for the next 3 months ! Lol

fishboy1

Actually it has changed my decision. Most years I wouldn't kill ANY bucks. Just passed on them and shot does.

After really considering all sides of the argument, I realized that a buck is a buck, regardless of age, or antlers.
Who am I trying to impress?
I will probably be less selective than I have in the past.

If a whopper walks by, so be it. If I feel like shooting a "scrub" then it will be just as much fun and eat just as well.

WORM82

This year it doesn't bother me having 2 buck tags since my first clild is due on thanksgiving and I probably won't get to hunt very little during gun season. I'm not much on bow hunting but bought my archery tag this year so I could hunt as much as possible before my son comes into our lives. I killed a 6pt Sunday and it does suck only having 1 buck tag left but I'm not a trophy hunter either.

nick2720

It does change the way I hunt . I never see 130 + deer in bow season but in muzz and gun I always see 140 + deer and usually try for them and shoot one bigger deer at the beginning of muzz and that way i can hold on out for bigger deerfor the wall but since it's changed I'm going to be holding out for the 140s all season instead of shooting 1-2 120s . I'm contemplating not even bow hunting to save a tag for bigger deer later in the season.

Latest posts