Doe in heat?

duckriver

Several times over the years I have seen a group of does feeding along. Then one just goes crazy and takes off running in circles, blowing, and jumping. I saw another do that again today. Is this a sign she is in heat?

duckriver

Maybe I have some that are just wild. There is one behind the house right now doing it. She's all by her self and running like crazy all over the field. She disappears for a few mins then comes flying back by wide open.

duckriver

RUGER said:
I think they do that when they fart and it stinks. :D

Every year I have some gased up does then lol.

I thought maybe it was because so many bucks get killed each year they are like some women and are having daddy issues because they aren't around so they go wild looking for attention lol

Mike Belt

You sure it was a doe and was it a yearling? Not saying it was or wasn't but I've seen them bust out doing exactly as you described for no other apparent reason they just felt like doing so and usually it was a young deer. An estrus "antsy" doe sort of hop, skips, jumps around, may be aloof from the rest of the group, nervously watches, tail extended out.....If you pay close attention to all of them she'll stand out.

duckriver

Mike, yep it is always yearling does. I thought maybe they come into heat first and the first time makes them wild

Mike Belt

Generally the mature does come into estrous first which may actually bring the younger does into estrus. For the most part, those early born are what drive the "second" or late rut.

Boone 58

duckriver said:
Several times over the years I have seen a group of does feeding along. Then one just goes crazy and takes off running in circles, blowing, and jumping. I saw another do that again today. Is this a sign she is in heat?

I am glad Bsk chimed in because he knows this stuff......but to add something let me say this......I have witnessed exactly what you have every year for the last 6 or so.....while it may not mean she is in estrous I can honestly say it only happens about the "time" they are getting close.......I have witnesses and I can tell you it always is when "estrous" is close and it is crazy to watch!!! I get tore up now when I see it.

duckriver

Boone 58 said:
duckriver said:

I am glad Bsk chimed in because he knows this stuff......but to add something let me say this......I have witnessed exactly what you have every year for the last 6 or so.....while it may not mean she is in estrous I can honestly say it only happens about the "time" they are getting close.......I have witnesses and I can tell you it always is when "estrous" is close and it is crazy to watch!!! I get tore up now when I see it.

Glad I'm not the only one. They act like they are being chased by a ghost

BSK

Normally, once a doe enters estrus, she separates herself from her social group and any fawns she has. She then greatly increase her movements but in a smaller area. She will appear highly agitated, and move back and forth through the same area over and over.

Rockhound

BSK said:
Normally, once a doe enters estrus, she separates herself from her social group and any fawns she has. She then greatly increase her movements but in a smaller area. She will appear highly agitated, and move back and forth through the same area over and over.

I saw this one morning last year with a doe and 2 fawns, like she was trying to lose the fawns. The next morning the 2 fawns showed up by their self and bedded under my stand

BSK

Rockhound said:
BSK said:

I saw this one morning last year with a doe and 2 fawns, like she was trying to lose the fawns. The next morning the 2 fawns showed up by their self and bedded under my stand

Yup, I've watched a doe try to "ditch" her fawns during peak breeding on several occasions. The fawns look totally confused. "Why is momma being so mean to us?"

Mike Belt

I like being in an area where the doe is pawing at her fawns and butting them trying to intimidate or separate them from her. Sign of things to come...

bigtex

Ive seen button bucks do the same thing. Run in a big circle kicking up there heals, then flop down on the ground to rest. Pretty comical.
Personally I think there just feeling frisky.

MUP

I had been observing a mama and her two fawns during bow and ML season back in 06, and on opening day of rifle season, I saw the little doe fawn walk by right at daylight, then at about 8:30 saw the little button come right under my stand, looking straight "thru" me up the ridge. When I turned, ever so slowly, saw a doe skirting across the ridge, then turn down to come by me on my right side at about 80 yds, being followed by one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen while hunting. He's on my wall now. :)

Latest posts