Doe #2 cool tracking story

bowhunter163

I had a good few days in the woods over the weekend and first of the week . I killed a big doe Sunday morning and saw several deer Sunday and Monday .

Tuesday morning I walked in to hunt a new spot and jumped tons of deer in the dark . Feeling defeated I decided to just climb right where I was at . When it got daylight I realized I wouldn't be able to shoot u less a deer was directly in front of me 20 yards and in . I had one more small opening between the "V" of a tree 43 yards away straight ahead but that's it . I was by feeling very confident since I had jumped all those deer combined with the poor stand location .
About 745 CST I had a small fawn come in and walk directly under me , after she got past me and hit the trail I walked in on she spooked and took off blowing . She blew for 5 minutes even though she was over 100 yards away now . This doe which was a little bigger came in trotting looking to see what all the ruckus was about . She was circling around to where the only shot was gonna be through the "V" tree , so I went ahead and dialed my site to 43yards . (I wasn't planning on shooting a doe that morning but I decided if I could get her to stop in that very small window at the right time , it was fate and I had to . As luck would happen I drew back , she stopped in the spot , I buried the pin , and executed my release . She took off bounding down the ridge and I thought I had missed , 20 seconds later I heard her fall and roll down the ridge .

Now to the cool part . I gave her a few minutes and went to look at my arrow . When I found it , I knew she wasn't far but I was having trouble picking up the trail . I did large circles in the direction I thought I saw her run ,"which turned out to be off a little bit " and couldn't find a single drop of blood . I am now probably 50 yards from where I shot her and I have been looking for blood really slow for the last 10 minutes or so . Well , I start going back and forth across the point (just in case I misjudged the direction she ran a little ) . I just happen to look across the point and see a shed shining on the ground and thought "cool , I'm gonna go check that out and come right back ." Well when I get there , there is blood splattered all over the shed and on the ground around it . After this I literally walked right to her in 10 seconds because the trail was so good .
I followed the trail backwards and it turned out when I started my circles I missed the initial blood by about 5 yards . It was one of the coolest things I have had happen while hunting . Here is a picture of the shed when I found it .

bowhunter163

smalljawbasser":30tz39n2 said:
What kind of stand is your bow sitting on in that pic? I need something like that for a popup blind.

It is just an arrow with the nock on the cable holding it up . Wish it was something more fancy , but it works lol

Mike Belt

Neat! Sort of a circle of life thing. The only story I have along those lines would be from a few years back. It was the next to the last day of the season and I was primarily after more meat. I was set up on a point jutting into a narrow bottom running between 2 ridges. A group of does came through and I shot one. She took off down through the bottom and I thought I heard her fall out of sight. Another doe made the mistake of hanging around after the shot and I nailed her. She took off down through the bottom. A few minutes later a 5.5 year old 8 pointer came through trailing behind the does. BAM! He took off the same direction the does had run. When I had taken the shots at all 3 deer they had been standing almost in the same tracks at each shot. I climbed down and headed over to take a look and had a massive blood trail from all 3 deer. I recovered all of them a short distance down the bottom. The 2 does had dropped 5' from each other and the buck had dropped on top of one of them. First time for everything I guess.

bowhunter163

Mike Belt":3em8wlgv said:
Neat! Sort of a circle of life thing. The only story I have along those lines would be from a few years back. It was the next to the last day of the season and I was primarily after more meat. I was set up on a point jutting into a narrow bottom running between 2 ridges. A group of does came through and I shot one. She took off down through the bottom and I thought I heard her fall out of sight. Another doe made the mistake of hanging around after the shot and I nailed her. She took off down through the bottom. A few minutes later a 5.5 year old 8 pointer came through trailing behind the does. BAM! He took off the same direction the does had run. When I had taken the shots at all 3 deer they had been standing almost in the same tracks at each shot. I climbed down and headed over to take a look and had a massive blood trail from all 3 deer. I recovered all of them a short distance down the bottom. The 2 does had dropped 5' from each other and the buck had dropped on top of one of them. First time for everything I guess.
That one is equally as wild !

Crow Terminator

Now that is cool!

I don't have any story like that. I did shoot a doe one time that I heard a massive crash after I shot her. I began blood trailing and it was one of those trails where there ain't a lot of blood on the ground but you know without a doubt you heard the deer crash. Well I trailed...and trailed some more. There was OK blood but it was starting to worry me with how far I had tracked from the initial shot site. Then I look up and see what looks like a deer standing there. I used my range finder as a monocular and saw it was my deer...dead as a hammer. I walked up to her and she had tried to run through a tree that had two trunks...basically the trees formed a tight V shape and she was wedged right in between them. I liked to have never got her pulled free from that. She must have still been going full bore when she hit them and it stopped her mid stride.

I arrowed a nice buck one morning, about 10 AM. Then watched it run about 65 yards, stand, wobble and go down. It's head stayed up. And I stayed on stand for about 4 hours waiting for it to lay flat. I thought I had made a good shot but doubt crept in when the head stayed up.

After four hours of watching it through trees and brush with my 4x rangefinder, I decided something was amiss!

Turns out it had passed out and fallen between 2 saplings in such a way that it looked like a bedded buck with head up.

Even as I stalked it I had an arrow nocked. Fooled me GOOD!!!