Do successful hunters wait or chase?

woodsman87

If I knew that I was guarunteed to kill a turkey if I set by a certain tree for like 8 straight hours, I would do it. To some people turkeys are worth sitting that long for. I hunt as much as I can, which is only weekends and every once in awhile after work so I hunt when I can.
I like chasing them too, if I thinkn I need to I will. But I don't mind having to wait one out either!

deerchaser007

I was off all last week and it took me til saturday morning to get #1. to much hen competition!! So i put my time in and scouted and found were they were dusting. Sat in that spot from daybreak til 10:30 when they came in.
Every situation is different and turkey hunters have different styles, but you have to be able to do both depending on situation. For me, runnin & gunnin is out right now til we get some more green up. When 1 tom is surrounded by 5 hens, thats 12 eyes to see you move. In the hillcountry, they can see you from one hillside to the next, they can skylite you if you try to walk the ridgeline at top. Its very difficult with no early green up this year. And i have no desire to chase a gobbler that will not gobble. And if they have 3,4, or 5 hens with them, they don't have to gobble.
2 weeks from now it will be a differ story!! Still alot of turkey hunting left, so IMO, patience is name of the game right now. When that bird is still lonely at 8 AM with no company, and he is gobbling is head off, and the trees give me some cover, i am moving on him. Thats just me!!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
If I know I'm in a good location close to water. I stay still and don't call much in the early mornings and evenings.From mid morning to mid day I go looking for them.

Latest posts