Do not be that guy

Sako

Just watched a perfect example of why I try not to fish on the weekends at all... I live on the lake with a small cove on the side of the property.. where the cover comes into the lake there is a tree fallen that people wear out this time of year for crappie... There was a guy in a kayak sitting there fishing and had been for about 20 minutes and here come a guy in a bass boat... yep you guessed it... pulls up not 20 FEET from the guy and starts fishing... Jerks are the reason I do not fish on the weekends... I am sure they are there during the week as well but there are less of them. At least they did not get in a fight, I thought several times last years there was going to be a fight over the same thing but they turned out to be shouting matches.

Please do not be that guy

7mm08

Oh I have had " superior " baiters with spinning rods walk thru my run because well you know we uns only catch little trout with them thar fly poles!

but then this young fly punk in Alaska two years ago tried the same thing and I said " you need to worry more about old guys out here in the wilderness than the brown bears downstream ". He got the point and I could here his guide giving him an arse chewing when they met up.

yeah, don't be that guy....., plenty of fish

Crow Terminator

It's why I quit trout fishing the stocked rivers on the weekend. People don't care that you were there first and that realistically, there's only room for one or two people. They'll come try to hump your leg if they see you catching fish. Trout fishing is horrible with them that do it. Their goto responses when confronted is either "you don't own the river" or "I bought my license and I'll fish where I want". I've varied on my response to those people. I have picked up the biggest rock I could find and chunked it into the middle of the hole and said "don't catch em all" and then left. But the best reaction from them has been when I stayed and kept catching fish while they didn't. They either get visibly upset and leave or try to figure out what I am using for bait. In which case I will simply ignore them. Most of the time I am catch and release fishing and that upsets them more because to them I am sore lipping fish they won't be able to catch. When they did the winter stockings in the local park pond this year, a guy saw me catching fish and came to me. There were only 2 other people fishing a rather big pond and he got right beside me. When I saw what he was doing I started throwing them back after I would catch them. By a few minutes he was nearly on my shoes. I would move down a few yards and he would literally move to where my boot prints had been. I stood there and caught 40 something rainbows to his 1. He was so mad he was cussing me because I wouldn't talk to him and was putting those fish back. He wanted me to catch and give them to him. He finally left. The next morning he was right in that spot with 6 rods spread out in it to block other people from getting there. I walked down and got 20 or so feet from his last rod and started catching fish from the first cast. He never caught a fish during the time I was there. I also won't fish Chickamauga lake because of the people like that. Since it got put on the map in the fishing world, it gets a ton of out of state people fishing it. They must all think if you have a TN registration on your boat that you know where the spots are and they don't think nothing about jumping right on top of you.

To piggyback off of another thread...isn't it selfish of us to want elbow room for a spot and to get mad at others for crowding? Technically we don't own the water or fish and others have every right to fish there too. It's an unwritten code of ethics for sportsmanship to yield to someone who beat you to a spot. I follow it...even if it's somewhere I really wanted to go but other people sure don't seem to care.

Sako

Keep in mind happened on Melton Hill lake... not a stream... even then, giving the guy who was there before you is the polite and courteous thing to do. Still amazes me how some people are

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Keep in mind happened on Melton Hill lake... not a stream... even then, giving the guy who was there before you is the polite and courteous thing to do. Still amazes me how some people are
Don't ya know when you have a $65,000 bass boat it gives you ownership of whatever body of water you're on.

WTM

Don't ya know when you have a $65,000 bass boat it gives you ownership of whatever body of water you're on.
yeah 2 on KY lake found out otherwise. tip of the day; if you gonna tell someone to leave or go to the bank to settle it dont peck a fight with someone with 18" arms and can make you see Jesus with one punch. on the bright side one of them found Jesus and is a pretty good guy. even gives me freebies sometimes.;)

Planking

One time we were night fishing. The only boat in sight came over in less than casting distance and dropped anchor.

Ive ran into the guy with the accent a few times. He roars up on you while you are fishing and starts asking you fishing questions.

FLTENNHUNTER1

yeah 2 on KY lake found out otherwise. tip of the day; if you gonna tell someone to leave or go to the bank to settle it dont peck a fight with someone with 18" arms and can make you see Jesus with one punch. on the bright side one of them found Jesus and is a pretty good guy. even gives me freebies sometimes.;)
18 inch arms? Why so short?

Bom Dia Hello GIF

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Lol love it !

Headhunter

On Priest, it is almost accepted. So long people stay out of where I can cast I don't even pay attention to them.

And the immigrant population does not care, I stay just out of casting distance but I pay no attention to them, other than being sure they don't run over me with their boat. If I pull up to a spot and they are there, I just fish around them. I cannot the number of times, I have caught a fish and they pile in on top of me. I crotchety old dude, so after I have my say they usually back off.

And a few places on Priest you can't do anything. The immigrant population lines the bank, as many as 30 people, wading, at 11:30 at night and the all the lighted floats looks like a carnival. They keep everything they catch, nothing is culled. A couple of what used to the best spots for hybrids and also popular bass fishing spots, cannot even be fished. I guess it is a free country, and them fishing doesn't bother me, well other than I can't get to what used to be the best spots, that is legal. But them keeping every fish they catch isn't legal, that is what makes me angry. I have told them when they catch short hybrids and occasionally a striper that they have to be 15" long and the limit is 2, they just yell back white bass. They keep any and every bass they catch. They don't let anything go. From what I understand, they are selling what they catch, but no one can catch them. Makes me mad to that if I kept one fish over the limit and was checked I would get a ticket, but they walk out with 5 gallon buckets and keep everything they catch.

The TWRA could assign an officer to Priest full time and he would stay busy writing tickets. Honestly I don't even care if he writes tickets, as much as just educate. I try, well if they admit to understanding english, they will ask if I am an law officer and when I say no, they say nothing I say means anything and just go right on breaking the law. I almost never see them release a fish. They are also putting up tarps in the trees along the banks on Priest and leaving them. Looks like a homeless encampment along the banks.

Tournament fishermen have for sure given my issues, so when I am hybrid fishing, I pull up and fish right past them, I stay out of casting range, but if I am topwater fishing for hybrids, I fish wherever, the tournament have sure never paid attention to me hybrid fishing.

Priest has become an absolute circus and a zoo. The immigrant population is unbelievable, nothing wrong with them fishing, but there is no respect for the law by them. I even see them throwing cast nets and they keep whatever they catch. I wish there was a way to educate them. On that and boating safety.

Displaced_Vol

On Priest, it is almost accepted. So long people stay out of where I can cast I don't even pay attention to them.

And the immigrant population does not care, I stay just out of casting distance but I pay no attention to them, other than being sure they don't run over me with their boat. If I pull up to a spot and they are there, I just fish around them. I cannot the number of times, I have caught a fish and they pile in on top of me. I crotchety old dude, so after I have my say they usually back off.

And a few places on Priest you can't do anything. The immigrant population lines the bank, as many as 30 people, wading, at 11:30 at night and the all the lighted floats looks like a carnival. They keep everything they catch, nothing is culled. A couple of what used to the best spots for hybrids and also popular bass fishing spots, cannot even be fished. I guess it is a free country, and them fishing doesn't bother me, well other than I can't get to what used to be the best spots, that is legal. But them keeping every fish they catch isn't legal, that is what makes me angry. I have told them when they catch short hybrids and occasionally a striper that they have to be 15" long and the limit is 2, they just yell back white bass. They keep any and every bass they catch. They don't let anything go. From what I understand, they are selling what they catch, but no one can catch them. Makes me mad to that if I kept one fish over the limit and was checked I would get a ticket, but they walk out with 5 gallon buckets and keep everything they catch.

The TWRA could assign an officer to Priest full time and he would stay busy writing tickets. Honestly I don't even care if he writes tickets, as much as just educate. I try, well if they admit to understanding english, they will ask if I am an law officer and when I say no, they say nothing I say means anything and just go right on breaking the law. I almost never see them release a fish. They are also putting up tarps in the trees along the banks on Priest and leaving them. Looks like a homeless encampment along the banks.

Tournament fishermen have for sure given my issues, so when I am hybrid fishing, I pull up and fish right past them, I stay out of casting range, but if I am topwater fishing for hybrids, I fish wherever, the tournament have sure never paid attention to me hybrid fishing.

Priest has become an absolute circus and a zoo. The immigrant population is unbelievable, nothing wrong with them fishing, but there is no respect for the law by them. I even see them throwing cast nets and they keep whatever they catch. I wish there was a way to educate them. On that and boating safety.
That sounds awful. I've seen a once productive creek spot in central KY ruined in a similar fashion. Only took a couple of them though.

Crow Terminator

Yes sir, the same thing applies over here. I used to love going below Ft Loudon dam to fish. It used to be great for stripers, white bass, skipjack, etc and great numbers. I remember days of 100 white bass per person, catching and releasing as fast as possible so you could catch another. The immigrants took it over and not only did they kill the fishing but they made it into a landfill mess; trash everywhere and it just literally stinks to high heaven. I've seen them catch so many that their bucket handle would break with them trying to carry the fish out. Some started bringing those carts people use down at the beach.

Latest posts