Do mineral licks help antler growth?

RKenney

Such as the Trophy Rock. I know deer need salt, but does it
really affect antler growth. If a monster buck lived in a very
remote area, with no man made licks, would he have an even
bigger rack if he did have the extra man provided salt and
minerals?

Greg .

I don't think there is evidence either way regarding your question. Mineral licks probably DO supply the wildlife with minerals they need (or they wouldn't use them), but there's no scientific evidence that they help grow big antlers. One reason being that you can have a HECK of a time (ie impossible) controlling variables when dealing with wild populations. I think they have been shown to grow larger antlers in penned deer.

I put out minerals because it gets them in front of the camera, and I believe (though I can't prove and have no proof from anyone else) they probably help and certainly won't hurt (save one instance).

The question of prions and CWD may come up in this discussion. Should CWD show up in my area, this would be a reason, IMHO, to stop putting out salt.

CopperHead77

No evidence to suggest that it improves antler growth from what I understand,they do however allow me to get alot of great pics!

JCDEERMAN

Whitetail Junkie said:
No evidence to suggest that it improves antler growth from what I understand,they do however allow me to get alot of great pics!

That is correct!...No "evidence" for facts, but I'm sure it helps at a VERY low percentage. But to me, every little bit counts!!! And just my thoughts as well on the trail-cam pics

DWM

It can't hurt. Farmers use mineral for cattle because it helps so I do not see why it would not help deer. I have heard that some of the same minerals that help cows produce milk are the same minerals that it takes to grow antlers. The problem is getting the deer to consume enough of it. With cattle it is mixed in the feed so they are forced to eat it. That will be hard to do with deer. The most beneficial minerals are not something deer will crave.

DWM

Let me add that what most people call a mineral lick is mostly salt and I do not believe salt will do anything for antler growth.

RKenney

I don't think "salt" does anything for antler growth either, but
what about extra minerals in the salt. I know there is a
commercial product called 30.06 that is supposed to help antler
growth, but the claim could be bogus.

I might guess that salt alone might be good, if it leached into
a mineral rich type soil. I have watched deer on my property,
that looked like they were literally "eating" dirt, where I
poured pure salt on the ground.

Their mouths had mud on them and they would lick around their
mouth, like it was candy. My property was once a huge phosphate
mining operation years ago, but I don't know if phosphate residue
has anything to do with it..or not.

Football Hunter

yeah,I use the lucky buck brand mineral,they LOVE it,but I doubt It doesmuch good,but its good for getting pics.BTW,they claim a money back garuntee on bigger racks,so someone with enough land and time and trail cams should try it and see if theyre claims add up.

A

Anonymous

I do not think so, I do think it helps them some overall, but as far as growing antlers I do not believe they have any effect. I have never seen anything scientific which says so as well.

Latest posts