Food Plots Disc?

TRIGGER

I'm going to show my ignorance here but I'm ok with that. What is the difference between a disc, horrow and a bog disc? I think I know a bog disc cuts much deeper but physically what's the difference? I need to buy one but don't want to screw up and get a bog disc when I don't need one.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

I'm in no way an expert...and I'm sure others can explain the differences better....but my understanding has always been that the bog disk use is more like that of a plow....it goes deeper and is generally heavier and is used for "breaking" new or rough ground....where a regular disk would be more for breaking up large clumps in a field that's been broke...preparing a field to plant and less aggressive than the bog.....then a chain harrow or disk harrow would be a final step to smooth the field and even out high or low spots.. etc.
If we're talking food plots a regular disk will do...spray grass...come back week or so later.... depending on soil type it might take multiple passes...but a regular disk will expose enough soil for a seed bed.

BSK

If we're talking food plots a regular disk will do...spray grass...come back week or so later.... depending on soil type it might take multiple passes...but a regular disk will expose enough soil for a seed bed.
Unless you have my soil!

When I first started trying to turn my plots, I bought a brand new double-gang disk. Within one day of use the hard ground had stretched the gang axles so far the disks were just flopping around. And it didn't turn the ground.

Although, now that I've turned those plots with a rotary tiller a few years in a row, a disk would probably work just fine. But it was breaking that ground that was the problem, as well as getting enough organic matter incorporated into the soil that it produced an actual humus layer. My original plots (and my new plots now) actually did not have a humus layer.

BSK

I'm in no way an expert...and I'm sure others can explain the differences better....but my understanding has always been that the bog disk use is more like that of a plow....it goes deeper and is generally heavier and is used for "breaking" new or rough ground....
Plus a bog disk is usually a pretty big and heavy piece of equipment, requiring a pretty serious tractor to pull. The typical "gentleman farmer" compact tractor won't pull one. However, they will pull a normal disk or single-bottom plow.

wildlifefarmer

Plus a bog disk is usually a pretty big and heavy piece of equipment, requiring a pretty serious tractor to pull. The typical "gentleman farmer" compact tractor won't pull one. However, they will pull a normal disk or single-bottom plow.
Bog or off-set disks are Heavy pulling! My 70 hp when going up a hill is having a tough time with just a 6 ft off-set!!

deerhunter10

Get a good one it will pay off. Our ground is good now but it started hard packed we chisel plowed everything cross ways for two years. Now a disc will run through it we farm so luckily we have equipment we have two older john deere disc they are heavy. Also personally I like hydraulic anything. Hooking and unhooked a three point hitch especially by yourself can be a pain in the ass.

WilcoKen

Get a good one it will pay off. Our ground is good now but it started hard packed we chisel plowed everything cross ways for two years. Now a disc will run through it we farm so luckily we have equipment we have two older john deere disc they are heavy. Also personally I like hydraulic anything. Hooking and unhooked a three point hitch especially by yourself can be a pain in the ass.
Chisel plow is my best implement.

skipperbrown

I think you need to start with what kind of tractor do you have, tire type, and HP. What type land are you planning to cultivate, just cleared, laid fallow for several years, cultivated last year, hard pack clay or loamy river bottom?

TRIGGER

Terrible picture but this is the one I ended up getting. 8' wide. Once I got them adjusted as aggressive as they go it does ok.
FB19F24B-838D-42BB-BDC8-5BE0B91ABDCE.jpeg

Latest posts