Food Plots No disc food plot method

Mr. Hawk

I read on here last year about a no disc method some guys were doing successfully, I need to re-sow a couple of 1/2 acres plots for this fall, can someone refresh how this method works. I believe it was not bush hogging but spraying gly on the y'all grass and waiting a couple weeks then spreading the seed in the dead grass, then following up with a mow. Is this correct? And what is the time frame for doing this. Also, will other annuals besides clover come up?

Shanman

You pretty much nailed it, if you have a cultipacker then use it after mowing. I haven't used this method on larger seed such as beans and corn, but it works well with wheat, oats, clover, and brassica. Try to sow right before a rain though, will help germinate the seed quicker. Turkeys can be a problem with the oats and wheat, try a few pie pans like you would with crows, then remove them once the seed is up.

PickettSFHunter

There are multiple ways to do it. Over the years, I've settled on just sowing seed and spraying over it right after sowing. Makes for a "dirty" plot if you don't mow it. Wheat, clover, brassicas, etc. You need rain soon thereafter, and you do need to up your seeding rates. More $ on seed, less time overall, conserves moisture, conserves organics, reduces erosion.

DoubleRidge

I've got multiple plot areas I'm going to try the exact method you described......oats, rye and radishes..... totally agree on the need to up the seeding rate.

As far as timing....the areas I'm hoping to plant have been bush hogged recently.....going to wait two or three weeks and let them green up......then spray and wait for the kill.....then sow and mow.....this will have me planting sometime in mid to late August..... pending decent chance of rain in forecast.

FTG-05

DoubleRidge":12ern006 said:
FTG-05":12ern006 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XmXiXMjsts&t=46s

Thanks for sharing.....Very informative video on the topic....he explains the benefits of no-till in great detail.

You're welcome! I like this video because it is so clear, concise and not too wordy for the sake of wordy. Jeff Sturgis, I'm looking at you here. :(

Mr. Hawk

Thanks for all the replies. Just watched the video as well. They mow, then spray, then seed. I was thinking the suggestion was to spray first, then spread seed, then mow to lay the grass on top of the seed?

DoubleRidge

Mr. Hawk":11rw4kae said:
Thanks for all the replies. Just watched the video as well. They mow, then spray, then seed. I was thinking the suggestion was to spray first, then spread seed, then mow to lay the grass on top of the seed?

Your correct....spray....sow....mow......if memory is correct I think he mentioned needing to mow one plot and was waiting for it to grow up some before starting the process over again.

The plots I'm trying this method on were too tall (above waist high) to get a good spray kill....so last Saturday I bush hogged them....now I'm waiting for them to green back up and grow some....then I'll start the process.... spray...sow....mow.

DoubleRidge

Mr. Hawk":3thcwab7 said:

And in another portion of the video he sprayed first....then sowed seed....and then did nothing.....the dead grass just laid over on it's own......he mentioned that's an effective method with certain types of grass..... interesting......looking forward to getting started.

Bucket

DoubleRidge":2b56inuu said:
Mr. Hawk":2b56inuu said:

And in another portion of the video he sprayed first....then sowed seed....and then did nothing.....the dead grass just laid over on it's own......he mentioned that's an effective method with certain types of grass..... interesting......looking forward to getting started.
I've just sprayed and sowed, but other times I've had to mow after, other times I've had to mow, wait, spray, sow, and mow again. Really depends on how thick the existing growth is.

Big Pop

On small plots in out of way places I've had good success with spray, sow and then after vegetation dies just run over it with 4 wheeler.

FTG-05

JCDEERMAN":3idlhqe3 said:
FTG-05":3idlhqe3 said:
Don't forget the rain. Ask me how I know.....

:bash:
:rotf:

Been there!

One time a couple years ago, I did all this work on a food plot. This is back in the days where I believed I had to do a bunch of dirt work to prepare a plot. Huge effort. Things were looking good because there was this huge hurricane coming up from FL and it was sure to dissipate over north AL and SC TN and dump goodly amounts of rain. It was the surest thing of rain in weeks if not months.

Forking thing shifted east a couple miles and missed us completely. Couple hundred $$$ of seed pretty much wasted, since it was right on top where the birds could get it.

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

JCDEERMAN

All depends on the weather. You really only need to spray 1-2 weeks before you plant. We don't plan on spraying until after the velvet hunt or on that Sunday. We will then try and plant Labor Day weekend or the weekend after, depending on rain. For most of TN, if you plant within 2 weeks of Labor Day, either prior or after, you can grow whatever you want to if you coordinate with the rain.