Food Plots Disc clover

Mr. Hawk

I am thinking about mixing in some oats and brassicas in one of my weaker clover plots. Is it okay to disc it in order to sow the new seed? Will the clover be ok?

jmb4wd

Id think so. Just dont turn it into dust while discing.

Id disc just enough to get a little soil exposed and then pack it or roll it some how.

landman

I no-till drill oats or wheat into mine all the time, and old AG
practice was to lightly disc your clover in the fall to promote new
growth

I would just go over it once

kpr

very lightly disc and over seed with wheat or whatever you desire. All you need to do is bust up at little of the surface and the clover will seed itself while allowing the wheat to act as a nurse. It's amazing what the clover seed will do. Do this in the early fall with rain expected.

JAD

If you can, adjust the disc so it just cuts shallow slices, rather than turning over much dirt. I've been doing my Durana plots for several years as follows: first broadcast the wheat, then one time around with disc, now maybe add in clovers in weak spots, done. Some of the clover will get bruised, but will look fine after a rain. Good luck.

Mr. Hawk

This is my first year of food plots. I put in 3 durana clover plots in March which have all done ok except for the weeds. I was thinking of cutting it all one more time labor day and then based upon recommendations on here, disc lightly and put out some turnips, wheat and oats with a hand spreader and then dragging fence/pallatt behind by UTV. Does this sound ideal?

Latest posts