Food Plots Did a little experimenting today

hard county

PXL_20210202_222844408.jpg

Frost seeded this 1 acre plot today in a bottle neck of a hay field with 25 lbs of red clover. Property owner understandably doesn't want the soil tilled because of the extremely erosion prone area so I had to get creative. Mowed starting at the center of the plot throwing thatch to the outside starting at 4 inch height working down to 1 inch. The plan is to keep the fescue back with sethoxydim until the clover can take over. No idea how successful this will be but I'll keep you guys updated.

DoubleRidge

Looks good....we've done similar with broadcasting fall blends then bush hogging and it worked.....the finer mower thatch should work good....and spraying the fescue back will no doubt help.....looks like a nice spot for a clover plot....good luck!

hard county

Looks good....we've done similar with broadcasting fall blends then bush hogging and it worked.....the finer mower thatch should work good....and spraying the fescue back will no doubt help.....looks like a nice spot for a clover plot....good luck!
Fingers crossed! I'm a little worried about fescue greening up so early. But the lawnmower definitely made a nice seedbed.

Monk74

View attachment 67079
Frost seeded this 1 acre plot today in a bottle neck of a hay field with 25 lbs of red clover. Property owner understandably doesn't want the soil tilled because of the extremely erosion prone area so I had to get creative. Mowed starting at the center of the plot throwing thatch to the outside starting at 4 inch height working down to 1 inch. The plan is to keep the fescue back with sethoxydim until the clover can take over. No idea how successful this will be but I'll keep you guys updated.
I've do the same with good results. But I'll usually wait till mid spring and spray with ARREST or SLAY.

hard county

Update, second year of this plot and the red clover is doing well. I wasnt very impressed with it last season but no till into thick Bermuda is probably asking a lot. I think the lawn mower method worked well for this unusual situation.

Attachments

• PXL_20220403_173349520.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220403_173349520.MP.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 65

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
During periods of high stress like hot dry weather the clover may be out competed but Bermuda grass. Also know that red clover ( not crimson but red clover) can and will at some point disappear!😳 just not come back for a year or two then when it returns it will be from the seed bank. Usually does this between 4th an 6th year.
I pasture cattle on orchard grass and red clover. I make a point to interseed some red clover with turnips and rye every other fall