Dehydrated Jalapeños

cbhunter

I'm getting aggravated. First time using dehydrator for Jalapenos. Everything I googled said to cut of stem, clean out innards and place on trays cut side up. Turn it on 6-8 hrs at 135 degrees. So before bed I turned it on 135 and set for 8 hrs. When I checked this morning they were shriveled but very much moist. So I turned up to 145 and set for 4hrs and left for work. Got home and can't tell they changed. So now I have turned them up to 150 and set it for 8 hrs ( i was kinda pissed). I will reevaluate and desire how long to leave them on before I go to bed but dang it! Hoping to try a new chili recipe tomorrow.
Mostly just venting I guess but has anyone else ever done them in dehydrator?

GMB54

Jalapenos can vary in flesh thickness and sugar content. I cut mine into 1/4ths and they dry fine. Cut into rings and then pop out the placenta with a finger works great too. My old dehydrator has been running almost non stop for a few weeks now. Over 50 plants and most are screaming hot peppers.

GMB54

Are these ripe jalapeno or green? And what variety? Some kinds are better for drying than others. Ive grown many kinds of jalapeno.

cbhunter

GMB54":2j61ttjg said:
Are these ripe jalapeno or green? And what variety? Some kinds are better for drying than others. Ive grown many kinds of jalapeno.

I do not grow them so I went to the grocery and bought a pack of green ones. I'm a pepper rookie lol

Another question. Should they be easy to crush afterwards? I tried the side of the knife blade and was able to crush very little. So I tried "slicing" them in small pieces and the blade just pops through it and little pieces fly everywhere.
I added a little to chili and a little to a jerky batch and put them back in dehydrator to see if they will crush easier?
As I said, first time messing with them really so take it easy on me :lol:

GMB54

Jalapenos in general have thicker walls than say....Fresno or Anaheim and they just dont dry the same. Rings dry fast. After they are dry pour them all in a large container with a lid on it. Dont fill it more than 1/3 of the way. SHAKE THE HELL out of the container. Adding a small marble or even a house key helps. Over 75% of the seeds will likely fall out. Grind the dried rings when you have enough of the seeds out.

Option #2
Go to SpicesInc and buy good jalapeno powder. You will probably end up paying less because 1lb of store bought jalapenos makes a tiny amount of powder. You are paying for a LOT of water.
https://spicesinc.com/t-chiles-and-hot-peppers.aspx

cbhunter

GMB54":2di2kw82 said:
Jalapenos in general have thicker walls than say....Fresno or Anaheim and they just dont dry the same. Rings dry fast. After they are dry pour them all in a large container with a lid on it. Dont fill it more than 1/3 of the way. SHAKE THE HELL out of the container. Adding a small marble or even a house key helps. Over 75% of the seeds will likely fall out. Grind the dried rings when you have enough of the seeds out.

Option #2
Go to SpicesInc and buy good jalapeno powder. You will probably end up paying less because 1lb of store bought jalapenos makes a tiny amount of powder. You are paying for a LOT of water.
https://spicesinc.com/t-chiles-and-hot-peppers.aspx
Much appreciated. I went there to order but backed out when shipping was higher than the powder. I searched around and ended up buying some Texas Pure Gunpowder jalapeño powder. I'll check it out and see if I like it

TNLynn

I cut in slices with seeds in. Put on high until they are very dry. Grind in blender till like black pepper. Store in air tight jar or it will draw moisture. Tip-Don'tTake lid off blender for a few seconds! The little cloud of dust WILL cough everyone in house to death for awhile.

GMB54

The last of mine will be finishing up today. I will be lucky if its 4oz when done. A quart of jalapenos makes so little powder. They are probably almost 90% water. Ive got extra hot Numex ripe and green plus 2 milder jalas. I will probably mix the milder green with the Numex green. The Numex Orange makes a beautiful powder and its HOT!!!

The $11/4oz i spent on the spiceinc jala powder was a bargain if i had to buy the jalapenos at a market. Even at the cheapest market. By the time you evaporate all the water and get rid of the seeds you get so little product. I grow no less than 6 jalapeno plants every year. Mainly because ripe jalapenos are very uncommon unless i take a drive to the Latino market. Even there they are somewhat seasonal. They dont always have ripe and ripe jalapeno hot sauce is one of my favorites.

Latest posts