Deer season wraps up today...were you happy with your season?

Henry

I'm thankful for a good deer season. Many thanks to everyone who has provided info to me based on their knowledge and experience. I've learned a lot and still have a lot more to learn.

This was my first season on my own land, first time to hunt in around 15-18 years (someone put a slug in the back of the tree I was sitting against in the pitch black on public land and I never went back) and my first to actually take a deer home after hitting it.

Ended up with two 8 points, an accidental button buck, and yesterday, took two mature doe within a few seconds of each other. There was a group of 3 that came into view while I was using one of our grain bins as a blind. Lucky the second one stopped and looked back...dropped her where she stood. Just crazy, never thought I could get two back to back like that. That was only the 11th and 12th time to shoot that rifle so I'm not that great at ejecting/loading (it holds 4 bullets)...I don't even know what ejecting/loading is supposed to be called...lol.

Also thankful that my wife decided she wanted to go out with me. No, not 34 years ago on our first date, a few days ago on our most recent date. Um, in case she reads this, YES, 34 years ago on our first date. Shew, almost messed up there. She took a young buck on her first time out hunting and her first time shooting my rifle. Very proud of her. Also, very scared of her now.

What would I have liked to do better? Like many, I'd like to get the big one. So, I'll be more selective next season and will focus more on being out there during pre-rut/rut when the big ones are more likely to mess up and be out during daylight. The advice given to me for this season was just get it done so I got it done. Meat in the freezer, in cans, in the neighbors' freezers, in my belly. I will make sure to get in better shape physically so I can walk all the way in instead of 4 wheeling part way. Every once in a while the deer could smell the 4 wheeler down the hill with the wind coming in just right and would turn and walk away. I would like to shoot better. Didn't miss a single time and actually put a bullet through the lungs of one tonight, but most of the time I've jerked right. Being right handed I will practice aiming left some when the adrenaline is pumping. (The gun is well sighted, it's just me pumping the heart a little too fast.)

I'm pretty happy with the land here as far as deer go. The does tend to rule an area out front, but the bucks are here and seen often in one of the meadows out back so things seem to be fairly well balanced. I would like to build a network of linked cell cameras, add normal stair (risers) to one of the previous owner's blinds so I can actually get in it, do some minor repairs to the blinds, clear some vegetation at one for clearer shots, buy a sled and hoist of some sort (had to use plywood and pull the heavier doe up into the truck on the "reverse slide" tonight because no one was able to help - quick and worked great), figure out the travel routes in the ravines/creeks/topography, explore the land further back (lowlands), plant an orchard and more oak trees, thin a couple areas of trees to get light onto the ground and tell my wife to get her own rifle so we can count to three and shoot at the same time when there's more than one munching the clover like the other night. Oh, and she needs to learn to sit still and I need to help her find some hunting clothes and some camo to cover her face...deer can see her fidget a mile away and they stare at her. Maybe they think she's good look'n too.

I'd like to buy a high quality cross bow and turkey gun. Oh, and next season I want to start butchering my own deer. Need to do this!
young bucks three (2).JPG

(trail cam pic from 1/8/23 in front of one of the deer blinds. Surprised they were knocking antlers after the rut/second rut, a third buck coming in from the right side of the picture. So there's plenty of upside opportunity for bucks here next year!)

Again, many thanks to you! Also, a thank you to K&J butchers in Paris. I think the guy's name is Shane. He saved my butt tonight by being there later than he planned. The meat has been amazing!

Well, now it's time to learn about turkeys and how to post video on here.

What are your thoughts about your season???

Last edited:

backyardtndeer

Congrats on your season. I never saw the buck I planned to target. He disappeared before our rifle season opened. Not counting the 11 I had targeted, I did manage to kill the best 2 bucks I got pics of though. Saw a lot of deer. Saw some very cool interactions. Thank you Lord for all you give us.

But our season is not done yet in cwd zone.

Chiflyguy

Congrats
I had a great season. 1 spike.
Messed up the shot on a nice buck, my fault, and passed on a couple deers.
Moved here in October. Been deers hunting 15 years, 11 of that on Illinois public 1- 1.5 hours away from Chicago. You can guess how that was.
This year I hunted my neighbors 17 acres behind my house and a buddy's farm down the road. 90 second drive.
To me, being able to walk out my door and climb MY mountain and hunt was the pinnacle of my hunting career.
Nothing like climbing into my stand, taking a deep breath and enjoying the smell of freedom.

SinningSaint33

Congrats on your season. Very pleased with mine as well. First year bow hunting and managed to kill 5 deer, all but one within 13 yards. Swapped to saddle in early November and never looked back.

MUP

Actually wrapped up last weekend for most of the state. Yes and no. This is the 2nd year I've not filled a tag. I've seen deer, seen a couple of nice bucks tending a doe each, even got to video them, and a few others. Very happy with getting to see those deer and be in the woods. Maybe a little down that I didn't get to go as much as I'm used to going, but all in all just glad I'm still able to get out there some.

BSK

Great post Henry! Always fun to watch a hunter "learning the ropes" of modern deer hunting.

And as for your comment about wanting to "figure out the travel routes in the ravines/creeks/topography," get used to that. You can learn a lot, but just when you think you have the local deer figured out, they will switch their patterns and you have to start over. It's a never-ending process. I've been hunting the same property for 35 years and I'm still trying to figure out the deer patterns. They keep switching in response to our hunting pressure as well as to changes in the habitat.

Unfortunately, my property's season was very poor. Not the worst we've ever had, but close. The local drought wreaked havoc on deer health and behavior. The "big boys" never showed up and the bucks we did have were of very low quality. Older buck sightings the first half of November were abysmal. Personally, I did OK killing one of the better bucks on the property, but he wasn't anything special.

trout

Henry, you have been an inspiration to me! After my father passed away, my passion for hunting faded. It was not the same this year being unable to share highs and lows and talk strategy with him. He taught me to hunt, fish, and trap and most importantly how lead my family in a life of faith. The LORD has blessed you and my prayer is that he will continue to bless your time in the spirit of the woods.

rem270

Congrats on a great season!

Although I didn't kill a buck I still had a great season. I don't kill a buck every year and don't have to to consider it a great season. I was able to hunt a total of 55 days, most of them mornings and afternoons and seen a lot of deer. I usually have 2-3 decent bucks that have potential where this year I had 6-7. I'm sure half of those didn't make it through season but I know of 3 that did for sure so hopefully will be shooters next year. I killed one doe, first one since 2017 so was happy with that. I plan on keeping a log next year of how many days, hours, and deer I seen each day.

Now I'm ready for turkey season.

Specializedjon

Great story Henry and congrats on a good season.

I proved to myself that I suck at bowhunting. Like...shot at 4 BIG buck at 30 yds or less and missed. I also learned that my "Kleen Canteen" keeps beer cold for 4-hours. I may or may not have taken that with me on a warm fall afternoon on a bow hunt (hence the results).

I was blessed to shoot a small 8 pt with my Granddads 7mm. That was very cool. First time that rifle has drawn blood in over 40 years. Any time I'm able to spend time in the outdoors, in God's creation....is a good day.

themanpcl

I'm thankful for a good deer season. Many thanks to everyone who has provided info to me based on their knowledge and experience. I've learned a lot and still have a lot more to learn.

This was my first season on my own land, first time to hunt in around 15-18 years (someone put a slug in the back of the tree I was sitting against in the pitch black on public land and I never went back) and my first to actually take a deer home after hitting it.

Ended up with two 8 points, an accidental button buck, and yesterday, took two mature doe within a few seconds of each other. There was a group of 3 that came into view while I was using one of our grain bins as a blind. Lucky the second one stopped and looked back...dropped her where she stood. Just crazy, never thought I could get two back to back like that. That was only the 11th and 12th time to shoot that rifle so I'm not that great at ejecting/loading (it holds 4 bullets)...I don't even know what ejecting/loading is supposed to be called...lol.

Also thankful that my wife decided she wanted to go out with me. No, not 34 years ago on our first date, a few days ago on our most recent date. Um, in case she reads this, YES, 34 years ago on our first date. Shew, almost messed up there. She took a young buck on her first time out hunting and her first time shooting my rifle. Very proud of her. Also, very scared of her now.

What would I have liked to do better? Like many, I'd like to get the big one. So, I'll be more selective next season and will focus more on being out there during pre-rut/rut when the big ones are more likely to mess up and be out during daylight. The advice given to me for this season was just get it done so I got it done. Meat in the freezer, in cans, in the neighbors' freezers, in my belly. I will make sure to get in better shape physically so I can walk all the way in instead of 4 wheeling part way. Every once in a while the deer could smell the 4 wheeler down the hill with the wind coming in just right and would turn and walk away. I would like to shoot better. Didn't miss a single time and actually put a bullet through the lungs of one tonight, but most of the time I've jerked right. Being right handed I will practice aiming left some when the adrenaline is pumping. (The gun is well sighted, it's just me pumping the heart a little too fast.)

I'm pretty happy with the land here as far as deer go. The does tend to rule an area out front, but the bucks are here and seen often in one of the meadows out back so things seem to be fairly well balanced. I would like to build a network of linked cell cameras, add normal stair (risers) to one of the previous owner's blinds so I can actually get in it, do some minor repairs to the blinds, clear some vegetation at one for clearer shots, buy a sled and hoist of some sort (had to use plywood and pull the heavier doe up into the truck on the "reverse slide" tonight because no one was able to help - quick and worked great), figure out the travel routes in the ravines/creeks/topography, explore the land further back (lowlands), plant an orchard and more oak trees, thin a couple areas of trees to get light onto the ground and tell my wife to get her own rifle so we can count to three and shoot at the same time when there's more than one munching the clover like the other night. Oh, and she needs to learn to sit still and I need to help her find some hunting clothes and some camo to cover her face...deer can see her fidget a mile away and they stare at her. Maybe they think she's good look'n too.

I'd like to buy a high quality cross bow and turkey gun. Oh, and next season I want to start butchering my own deer. Need to do this!View attachment 163895
(trail cam pic from 1/8/23 in front of one of the deer blinds. Surprised they were knocking antlers after the rut/second rut, a third buck coming in from the right side of the picture. So there's plenty of upside opportunity for bucks here next year!)

Again, many thanks to you! Also, a thank you to K&J butchers in Paris. I think the guy's name is Shane. He saved my butt tonight by being there later than he planned. The meat has been amazing!

Well, now it's time to learn about turkeys and how to post video on here.

What are your thoughts about your season???
I can say for a fact, I learned a lot this season. My freezer and wall remain unchanged but I had a great season in spite of that. Learned more about the property I hunt here and in IL and I became more proficient in my saddle. The "off season" will be a time for putting that new knowledge to use in prep for next season.

Ski

Congrats on a solid season!

In hindsight mine was a pretty banner season, but my harvest report doesn't reflect just how tough and long the season was. I worked harder than I ever have strategizing, scouting, and hunting. The grind paid off. I scored on a huge Ohio 10pt I've been after for 3yrs. I killed another big TN 10pt I've been watching for a few years. And I killed my biggest bodied TN buck, although he was ornery and only had 4 points left on his rack. Then last week I took a buddy out to get meat and he shot two big does.

The unusually tough climate conditions this season revealed some chinks in my habitat work. I've already begun addressing some of the issues but it's going to be a long, busy habitat season for me. Good thing I enjoy that stuff!

Snake

Well guess I'm thankful for being able to go hunting , did kill a seven point and could have killed another mature buck with a messed up rack chose not to . Hunted new ground and could have also filled both my doe tags but chose not to . Did get caught or believe he winded me on a decent buck and could have shot him but jumped the fence stopped on property I didn't have permission to hunt . No one but me would have knew it but me so that's that I knew it . Thankful trying to get used to less deer hunting in the eastern part of the state but at least I'm hunting free of charge ☺

knightrider

Congratulations on a great season!!! I had a great year killing a few does with the bow and muzzleloader, got a nice 8 monday of thanksgiving week, than caught the kung flu for thanksgiving which nocked the whole family out if the woods until week before Christmas 🤬 we missed the best time of year here by being sick but we still managed to nock out a few more donation does before season ended!! It was a blessed season!! Now to get over this back surgery and get ready for turkeys!!!

BSK

I proved to myself that I suck at bowhunting. Like...shot at 4 BIG buck at 30 yds or less and missed.
You're going to have to step up your game to come close to my accomplishment the first year I bow hunted (1980 with a $99 Whitetail Hunter bow purchased from WalMart). I missed over 40 times in that first season alone, even emptying my entire quiver of 6 arrows at one 8-point buck. Wasn't long after I gave up on bow-hunting.

Specializedjon

You're going to have to step up your game to come close to my accomplishment the first year I bow hunted (1980 with a $99 Whitetail Hunter bow purchased from WalMart). I missed over 40 times in that first season alone, even emptying my entire quiver of 6 arrows at one 8-point buck. Wasn't long after I gave up on bow-hunting.
Worship GIF

That's impressive. I hope your record stands for years to come 😂

Latest posts