Deer season wraps up today...were you happy with your season?

BSK

Worship GIF

That's impressive. I hope your record stands for years to come šŸ˜‚
As long as I'm not in the woods with a bow in hand, I think it will!

Snake

Congratulations on a great season!!! I had a great year killing a few does with the bow and muzzleloader, got a nice 8 monday of thanksgiving week, than caught the kung flu for thanksgiving which nocked the whole family out if the woods until week before Christmas šŸ¤¬ we missed the best time of year here by being sick but we still managed to nock out a few more donation does before season ended!! It was a blessed season!! Now to get over this back surgery and get ready for turkeys!!!
How are you doing since your back surgery brother ?

Henry

Congrats on your season. I never saw the buck I planned to target. He disappeared before our rifle season opened. Not counting the 11 I had targeted, I did manage to kill the best 2 bucks I got pics of though. Saw a lot of deer. Saw some very cool interactions. Thank you Lord for all you give us.

But our season is not done yet in cwd zone.
Glad you filled your tags. I didn't realize cwd went longer, but see it is until the 31st. I wonder if the buck you targeted leaves for a few months and then comes back.

Henry

Congrats on a great season of personal growth and enjoying the outdoors again. After 40 years, my wife has actually gone with me on a turkey hunt and a deer hunt this year. There is hope for all. Keep up the good work.
It's cool that your wife went with you.

Henry

Henry, you have been an inspiration to me! After my father passed away, my passion for hunting faded. It was not the same this year being unable to share highs and lows and talk strategy with him. He taught me to hunt, fish, and trap and most importantly how lead my family in a life of faith. The LORD has blessed you and my prayer is that he will continue to bless your time in the spirit of the woods.
Trout, it sounds like it's been rough this year. I'm praying you can regain some of that hunting passion back. I've appreciated your encouragement to me to learn. What's the next step for your land/deer management?

Henry

Congrats on a great season!

Although I didn't kill a buck I still had a great season. I don't kill a buck every year and don't have to to consider it a great season. I was able to hunt a total of 55 days, most of them mornings and afternoons and seen a lot of deer. I usually have 2-3 decent bucks that have potential where this year I had 6-7. I'm sure half of those didn't make it through season but I know of 3 that did for sure so hopefully will be shooters next year. I killed one doe, first one since 2017 so was happy with that. I plan on keeping a log next year of how many days, hours, and deer I seen each day.

Now I'm ready for turkey season.
Knowing there are up and coming bucks for next season is pretty awesome!

deerhunter10

Congratulations.

We had a good season, not the best ever but not the worst. The weirdest season We have ever encountered with rut movement and everything else. But ended being a good season. Only went one day getting skunked. I'm looking forward to getting back to work for next year and turkey season.

Lost Lake

It was pretty good. I didn't really think I'd be able to hunt much this year, and my desire was pretty low. But, I gave it a go anyway, and hunted more than I thought I'd be able to. Managed to kill two bucks that were what I was looking for. The best part is that my buddies killed some good deer as well. When the three of us do well, my season is just that much better.

I also got to hunt with my buddies way more than I thought. One of them is getting less able physically, and he really pulled it together and hunted hard. He's 16 years my senior and had some health issues. I've got to subtly figure some ways in the next year or so to make sure I can get him to the woods to hunt, in a way that doesn't insult him or make him think he's being looked after too much.

I'm planning on doing a LOT of post season scouting and recon in a few areas, and try to make our hunts better in the next few years.

Last edited:

Speedwell-Hunter

Congrats
I had a great season. 1 spike.
Messed up the shot on a nice buck, my fault, and passed on a couple deers.
Moved here in October. Been deers hunting 15 years, 11 of that on Illinois public 1- 1.5 hours away from Chicago. You can guess how that was.
This year I hunted my neighbors 17 acres behind my house and a buddy's farm down the road. 90 second drive.
To me, being able to walk out my door and climb MY mountain and hunt was the pinnacle of my hunting career.
Nothing like climbing into my stand, taking a deep breath and enjoying the smell of freedom.
This. Claiborne co is so beautiful

Henry

Congrats on your season. Very pleased with mine as well. First year bow hunting and managed to kill 5 deer, all but one within 13 yards. Swapped to saddle in early November and never looked back.
What cross bow are you using? I'd like to upgrade.

megalomaniac

Great season, even though we didn't have any trophy bucks to chase this year. First year that all 3 kids killed a buck in the same year. Also the first year we killed 3 culls in one season.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115_062744_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_062744_Gallery.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20230115_062716_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_062716_Gallery.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20230115_062811_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_062811_Gallery.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20230115_062832_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_062832_Gallery.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 52

Longbow2240

Yep!! Got the opportunity to go several times, spend the time in the woods with dad and my son. Got to take several added bonuses between the 3 of us. Hard to be unpleased with a season like that.
Now bring on turkey season!!

Levee Jumper

I Hunted 5 times. Couldn't really get into it this year. Killed a doe and an 8 pt on public and got my dad a doe and a sapling that was covering the vitals of a little buck.

SES

One of the best seasons I had in a while. Saw a ton of deer and 5 or 6 bucks that were definite shooters. Didn't kill a deer though. If EHD stays away, I'm going to have some absolute studs running around next year. Also got to hunt with my dad and he killed a good one that day.

Latest posts