Deer Mount Question

JXB0805

First off, I have 8 shoulder mounts that look perfectly fine and in tack.

However, this past fall I carried the buck I would have mounted to a different taxidermist only to be disappointed a couple days ago after picking it up.

Both of the buck's ears are separated, with the right ear having two large gaps in them.

I'm just curious if anyone else has ever experienced this before? This is definitely a first for me. You can see the pics I've attached of right after the deer was harvested to what it looks like mounted.
IMG_4820.jpeg
IMG_4819.jpeg
IMG_4818.jpeg

DoubleRidge

JMO
That's not your cape
That looks like torn ears from fighting
See it often,
That doesn't happen to an ear during the drying process
Agree...thats not your cape and there can be reasons why a different cape is needed but if so, that should have been communicated to you....but the color around the nose area, the darker face, the size of neck and the split ear...different cape.

rem270

Like others said not the same cape. Sometimes capes are no good but he should have contacted you and told you. Sometimes people shoot them up so bad or don't leave enough of the cape on to be used. The worst is when a slaughter house capes it and let's it sit out and it ruins. But a good taxidermist would let you know when they flesh it if it needs to be replaced.

JXB0805

Like others said not the same cape. Sometimes capes are no good but he should have contacted you and told you. Sometimes people shoot them up so bad or don't leave enough of the cape on to be used. The worst is when a slaughter house capes it and lets it sit out and it ruins. But a good taxidermist would let you know when they flesh it if it needs to be replaced.

Snake

JMO
That's not your cape
That looks like torn ears from fighting
See it often,
That doesn't happen to an ear during the drying process
Exactly. The taxidermist I used once put my antlers on another cape . Soon as I went to get it I told him that's not mine . Fortunately I had pictures of it so he swapped them out , ge said people come on pick up the antlers and the tag must have fell off . He fixed it and have me a discount.

Ski

Yeah, I was informed that during the drying process it separated. I've never seen this before in a mount, and it's quite difficult to swallow.

More plausible than swapping your cape, I'd guess the hide got cut while skinning or fleshing. A cut on wet hide isn't easy to see so he very well may not have known it happened. But as it dries that cut could would absolutely draw apart to look just like the gash in your buck's ear. Hide doesn't just split apart on its own. So while he didn't exactly lie to you with his explanation, he didn't accept responsibility, either.

Latest posts