Deer Herd

deaddownwind

I was reading over the infamous East TN hunters forum. I just wanted to highlight a few things that were talked about during that forum regarding deer numbers and stand for Wobbles comments. There are a couple of places that are considered "honey holes" that will produce 50 to 60 deer a hunt and are ajoining properties, however, one of these fields is a 40 acre oat field with 30 acres of wheat and turnips below it the both were planted with corn during summer. The other is a 20 acre oat and clover field. These food plots pull deer from many acres. What do you guys look for in a buck to doe ratio? The amount of doe that are killed in this area is fairly large. We kill several doe the last couple days of the season. Neighbors kill a lot of does throughout the season. As for the deer not being healthy in that area, I would have to say they seem very healthy. Three bucks have been killed there that field dress over 205# this year. Three others that dressed 180-195. The Mtn that these deer come off of is a very large amount of land and this goes for Wobble's in laws as well. I'm not here to argue about anything because I'm definately no deer biologist. If anyone who is wants to come volunteer their time to give their advice, my ears are always open but I believe it it hard to make judgements of someone's deer herd if you have not seen the conditions, food sources, and deer for themselves. I really don't care what other people kill. I hunt my hunt and the deer I identify on my hit list + any visiting monster or mature deer, I figure that's all I can do. I learned a long time ago that I'm the only one that I have to please with the deer I kill and be proud of others for killing a deer they are proud of. People will kill what they want but if you kill a deer bc "jimmy jack john willy" woulda killed it, you killed it for the wrong reason. Happy hunting folks.

Snake

Good post ! When I start killing deer by some else's standards then they better be letting me hunt their property :grin:,then I can comply !!Hunt and kill what you feel like killing life has too much stress in it's self to be stressed over what to kill . All deer are trophies to the hunter that killed it .Heck I remember when just seeing a deer was a treat even if you couldn't kill it . Have fun and take a youngster when you can folks !! Whack em' and stackem' cause when you get older you tend to get over it and then you can pick and choose what you want , standards get a little higher simply because you just don't feel like fooling with just any dang gum deer :whistle: