Deer heart and liver?

FULLDRAWXX75

kwilli said:
I like the heart, but not a big fan of liver, I cant stand the "grainy" texture of it, anyone know of any way to cook where it's not as "grainy"?

If you cut it too thick or over cook it, it is horrible.

Try thin slicing, dredge in flour/seasonings and pan fry only until the pink is gone in the middle. A few minutes on each side should be more than enough.

Served with bacon & onions as Ferg said and it is golden.

FDXX75

FULLDRAWXX75

Here's a really good recipe I got from another site:

Make pickle brine by taking 5 cups sugar and 5 cups cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons allspice, 2 tablespoons mustard seed, 2 teaspoons celery seed and a little ground cloves (or just use some prepackaged pickling spice).Add some pickled jalepenos to taste. Do a low boil on the mixture.Take the heart, wash out it salty water, trim away the excess fatty tissue. Slowly boil heart (just past a simmer, not a rolling boil). Slice heart into about 1/4 inch thick "rings", trim out the valves and any hard tissue. Put heart into a clean glass jar (like a regular canning jar) and pour hot pickle brine over it. Keep in refrigerator. Wait about 5 days. You can also pressure can it, but it seldom lasts long enough.

FDXX75

Latest posts