Liver and onions

bobbuck

I am making liver and onions tonight for my wife and I. I make chicken livers pretty regularly but this is my first try on the calf liver.

You guys have any pointers? I know that over cooking is a no no but anything I should know that will improve them?

My recipe basically has you flour them and fry them in butter. Also has you fry the onions in butter and a little sugar before cooking the liver.

Thanks for any tips.

TAFKAP

I can't be useful here. There are less than 5 foods I just don't like. Liver is one of them. You got the "don't overcook" part right though, but I don't know really what that just-right level is

Omega

I used to love me some liver and onions, I would cook the onions in butter first, I like mine well browned, but some like them clear, lightly salt them just when they are as brown as you want, then add the liver. Definitely don't overcook, just long enough to suit your taste, i.e pink or red, most times I just add some salt, pepper and a little garlic while I cook the liver, but also tried this spice mix that makes any dish much better. I've tried soaking in milk, coating in flour or cornmeal, which tastes good but I prefer just plain.

DCv7JDc.jpg

Boll Weevil

Pretty simple recipe for me.
1)Place in a bowl with cold water, add ice cubes, let sit a few minutes, and rinse well.
2)Heat your skillet and add just enough oil to keep meat from sticking; I use a non-stick pan and spray olive oil (it's healthier).
3)Sear liver on both sides being certain not to over cook and remove from skillet; will finish in gravy and onions.
4)Make your gravy (beef bullion works great for flavor), add coarse black pepper + sliced onions and set the seared liver on top of the onions (very important). Cover, let simmer until onions are to your liking and enjoy.

mike243

Fry 1/2 lbs bacon then flour and fry it till the pink is just gone, I use a seasoned flour mix called Runion mix I buy in Maynardville, anything fried in it is great,

bobbuck

Fry 1/2 lbs bacon then flour and fry it till the pink is just gone, I use a seasoned flour mix called Runion mix I buy in Maynardville, anything fried in it is great,
My old buddy used to buy the Runion mix and share it with me. That is a great mix but hard to come by here. I may bring some back at Thanksgiving.

waterman

Pretty simple recipe for me.
1)Place in a bowl with cold water, add ice cubes, let sit a few minutes, and rinse well.
2)Heat your skillet and add just enough oil to keep meat from sticking; I use a non-stick pan and spray olive oil (it's healthier).
3)Sear liver on both sides being certain not to over cook and remove from skillet; will finish in gravy and onions.
4)Make your gravy (beef bullion works great for flavor), add coarse black pepper + sliced onions and set the seared liver on top of the onions (very important). Cover, let simmer until onions are to your liking and enjoy.
this

Union Co. Boy

My old buddy used to buy the Runion mix and share it with me. That is a great mix but hard to come by here. I may bring some back at Thanksgiving.
We still buy it and split it up between our family members. For anyone interested, you can buy it at Okie's Pharmacy in Maynardville.

jb3

Big fan of liver. Fry in hot bacon grease. I could take or leave the flour. Very hot pan. 30 seconds per side. Fry onions first. Serve with mashed taters and steamed asparagus.
Pretty much how we ate it when I was a kid. Mom didn't use flour, just oil in a skillet and fried it. Probably ate it every other month. Chicken livers were probably ever other month. Childhood memories.

Latest posts