Deer cart users

DCOOK223

Are they worth it? Do you take it in with you or go to the truck and get it if you kill? If you take it in with you, do you just load your Treestand and stuff on it? Are they quiet? I've never had my hands on one but I'm interested in one.

TNRifleman

Definitely worth it. will sometimes take mine in with me but drop it about half way. Really depends on how far from the car I am hiking in. They are not particularly quiet and loading a treestand on it and pulling it in is noisy. I typically walk out and get mine after I shoot a deer and go back in with it.

Tennessee Lead

Sometimes I'll take mine as I go. Especially if I'm hunting along ways in like at Catoosa. I'll ratchet strap my stand and gear to it and head out. Can be noisy depending on the terrain. It's so much better than dragging one. Can be tricky on hillsides but haul roads and fields are a breeze.
I just purchased my 2nd cart today.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

DCOOK223

Awesome. Thanks for the input. Those answers are about what I expected, but I needed confirmation lol. I may not have one this season, but I definitely will by the next one.

TNRifleman

Watch wal Mart at the end of the season or the cabelas bargain cave. You can usually get a pretty deep discount. I sold my old one last year for $40 because I bought a brand new one that folds down better for $35 at wal mart at the end of the season. I don't buy much hunting stuff at wal mart but it's hard to go wrong with steel and rubber and a few cotter pins.

fairchaser

They are great to keep your perspiration down and attitude up. Get an aluminum ,strong and well made that's folds flat and you will never buy another.

7mminatree

We haul our stands in with them and then hide them in a deadfall with a cable combination lock. That way any of the three or four of us that kills can come and get the cart when needed.

Rackseeker

I built this one several years ago. Has held up good to heavy use. The only thing I need to add is a bicycle hand brake. Its a must a LBL and similar areas that dont allow ATVs. In this pic is my dad at LBL several years ago. I have a loc-on, ladder stick, API climber, and a 8 pt. on the cart. And brought all of it out of the middle of area 16. My dad doesnt like to carry anything on his back. LOL....

Scan_2.jpg

DCOOK223

Rackseeker":a0yyf2dm said:
I built this one several years ago. Has held up good to heavy use. The only thing I need to add is a bicycle hand brake. Its a must a LBL and similar areas that dont allow ATVs. In this pic is my dad at LBL several years ago. I have a loc-on, ladder stick, API climber, and a 8 pt. on the cart. And brought all of it out of the middle of area 16. My dad doesnt like to carry anything on his back. LOL....

Scan_2.jpg
Neat. I bet a brake would be really helpful at times lol

Crosshairy

Tip for cold days with a climber:

Put your coveralls on the cart for padding to silence the stand, then bungee the climber to the cart. The noise is much less, and you don't get so sweaty from wearing coveralls on a long hike.

The combination of a quieter cart and being chilly with no coveralls will help you walk faster to your spot :)

I agree with others about stashing the cart. It stinks doing the whole trip twice when a deer is down. Just make sure you have about 20 feet of thin rope and at least one bungee, and you can haul all kinds of stuff.

TNRifleman

Vermin93":4zmjdwo8 said:
They are great until you're a couple of miles in the woods and you lose one of the cotter pins that holds the wheels on.

That was the day I went to the store, bought a couple extras and duct taped them to the frame. Luckily for me I was only 600 yards from the car when mine popped out

Mike Belt

A cart versus dragging dead weight on the ground is a no brainer; the cart wins hands down. I left them at the truck, carried them in with me, and left them stashed near where I'm hunting often. Whatever works best for you and saves you some work. I have noticed that when maneuvering in the woods that sometimes limbs, etc. may stick through the spokes. My cart came from Cabelas and they also sold a wheel cover to eliminate this problem.

Bobby D

I have used carts for years. My first was from Cabela's. Now I have one from Sportsman's Guide that folds flat for easier storage. If you plan or do hunt public land then a deer cart can be a life saver.

sharpshooter

I take it in and leave it a couple hundred yards from my stand and lock it to a tree with a bicycle lock. By the way, they are also good for hauling coolers, chairs, umbrellas etc. when going to the beach.

PillsburyDoughboy

sharpshooter":38chr5d1 said:
I take it in and leave it a couple hundred yards from my stand and lock it to a tree with a bicycle lock. By the way, they are also good for hauling coolers, chairs, umbrellas etc. when going to the beach.

I have a hiding place on my property. I doubt anyone will just stumble upon it. If they find it they have really done something. Its well off the beaten path.

PillsburyDoughboy

Vermin93":z6kvh0pe said:
They are great until you're a couple of miles in the woods and you lose one of the cotter pins that holds the wheels on.
I keep several extra Bolts and nuts the same size as the pins in my hunting pack. Yep. Learned that the hard way.

Latest posts