Deer camping

Steel Scalpel

Just curious what you guys think would be warmer on a cold, snowy TN night.
a) sleeping in a tent with warm sleepingbag and warm clothes
b) sleeping in the back of your SUV with sleepingbag and warm clothes

Thanks just weight my options.

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Sleeping in a tent with a good sleeping pad/foam mattress. I have slept in the back of my van and the back of my truck in cold weather, and got very cold both times.

TN RDG RNR

Camped right up into November last year about froze my but off the last night. That little buddy heater was useless in a tent when the temps got below freezing! I sleep in my truck front seat when it gets real cold and reached up and turned it on every hour or so. Wasnt too bad.

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
One other thing, you can stay warm in a tent in very cold weather. Do not sleep with clothes on. Except sleep with a stocking cap on your head, it will make a big difference. I have slept in a tent in January when it was around zero. Only time I got cold was when i jumped out of my warm bag and was dancing around putting on my clothes. If you do not have a really warm sleeping bag, you can sleep in two bags, one inside the other----sounds funny but it does work.

Rackseeker

Have been camping in the winter in a tent all my life. The cold I can handle the rain is a different story. Another trick for when the temps get really cold is to find a couple large limestone rocks and place them by the fire. Get them good and warm, place them beside your sleeping bag. Nothing like crawling in a nice warm sleeping bag on a cold night.

John Harris

I have a camper and even access to an RV but I often, if its just a couple of days, just sleep in the truck. I have a crewcab and just let the driver's seat all the way back. Normally, sleep with wool blanket under and on top and its plenty.

44fanatic

R.I.P.
Dont use a cot without a good foam pad. It allows air to circulate underneath you which happens to be where your sleeping bag provides the worst insulation with it (the insulation) being compressed under your body weight.

Rowdy

Rackseeker said:
In a good dry tent with some kind of bed pad to get a barrier between you and the ground. A good sleeping bag, forget about warm clothes for when you get up. You sleep warmer in your under wear.
stik said:
tent with a heater
And a wool tobaggon ;)

Chris Tripp

Rackseeker said:
In a good dry tent with some kind of bed pad to get a barrier between you and the ground. A good sleeping bag, forget about warm clothes for when you get up. You sleep warmer in your under wear.

This is exactly what we do. We fold our clothes and put them in the bag with us.

moondawg

Get a sleeping bag liner. I especially like the Sea To Summit Reactor liner bag. I used one last weekend, and it worked out well for me. I usually get cold feet in my 0 degree bag...in 30 degree temps. :crazy: Never got cold last weekend.

Wearing a hat also helps. Don't wear the clothes to bed, they'll get damp and you'll get cold.

I've always slept in a tent, I've never slept in my truck. I've always carried a small and simple tent to set up. You have to have some sort of insulation from the ground. A good pad and maybe some blankets will help.

fishboy1

You can throw a tarp over your tent to help hold in heat. DO NOT do this with any type of combustible heater though. Electric heaters only.

Get a quality Zero degree sleeping bag, some type of air mattress or >2" thick foam pad (closed cell if you can find it) and wear a stocking cap. Fold your clothes and place under your sleeping bag to keep them warm for the AM.

Mossy Rack

I drive a truck for a living and I have slept in it for 3 years now in a trekkar sleeping bag in extreme cold conditions.I have stayed warm every night I sleep in sweat pants and t shirt with a watch cap or stocking hat.I never Idle it for heat as I get a fuel bonus. If I had a suv then I would sleep in it. Their is no way that a tent could be warmer. My water has frozen over night quite often. You do have to be careful in what you wear cuz if you sweat then thats a no go. you have to just do trial and era till you have your own pattern that works. My only problem is getting out of the bag. I usually start the truck and climb out when it gets warm.

Yellowstone Mike

P1010789.jpg

One of these usually works to stay warm in my tent when the snow flies, especially the stove. If you are using an air mattress or a cot when it is cold, bring a thick pad or at least a spare sleeping bag to put between your sleeping bag and the cot/air mattress. The underside of your bag compresses against the sleeping surface and you will freeze without the additional insulation,

trealtree

Yellowstone Mike said:
One of these usually works to stay warm in my tent when the snow flies, especially the stove. If you are using an air mattress or a cot when it is cold, bring a thick pad or at least a spare sleeping bag to put between your sleeping bag and the cot/air mattress. The underside of your bag compresses against the sleeping surface and you will freeze without the additional insulation, [/quote]

How well do those Mr Buddy heaters work? Thinking about using one this year in the Big Horns in a Outback Lodge Tent.