Day of the Kill Eating: Backstrap Two Ways

TAFKAP

A small-ish Chaney Lake 6-point. I'm estimating a 120lb live weight buck. Shot at 9:00 on Saturday morning, and it was about 55� that day. Drug out, quartered up, and in the cooler by 11:00.
November20146-Point_zpsc8a99311.jpg

Got the (4) quarters hanging in the fridge when I got home. They'll sit there throughout the week as I make some time to butcher and decide what to do.
November20146-pointMEAT_zps6e3bbd6e.jpg

What's becoming a day-of-the-kill tradition, I pan seared a chunk of backstrap for lunch, and a little carpaccio. The backstrap was tougher than I've ever had, but hopefully aging for a few days in the fridge will help that out.
November20146-PointBACKSTRAP_zps27d8c0c7.jpg

TAFKAP

timberjack86 said:
redblood said:
reckon why he was so tough, he looks relatively young
I think rigimortis has to set in at least to give the muscles time to relax.

This is something Poser pointed out, and the thought never occurred to me. I made some more later that night for dinner that was quite a bit more tender. Could've been a combination of the muscle letting go, or because I changed my cooking method.

I'll try some more soon.

TAFKAP

I cooked some more backstrap last night, and it was a bit more tender. However, it's still pretty tough. They've been aging over a bowl of (very) salty water since last Saturday, and there's not been a dramatic enough improvement.

jb3

I've had backstrap wrapped in wonder bread two hours after the kill and it was like butter.

TAFKAP

Even the less-than-6-hour carpaccio slices were nearly impossible to pound out. This is definitely a slow-braise deer.

TAFKAP

The same method will apply to any other seasoning option. And if venison isn't easily available, I've seen lamb shanks at Whole Foods for $5.99/lb. I think even Kroger carries them sometimes, as well.

catman529

jakeway":2sz6lmnv said:
I read it takes about 24 hours for the complete rigor mortis cycle to complete. I try to wait at least that long before butchering.
that is interesting. Wonder how that affects meat spoilage on a deer left overnight. Maybe saves a lot of deer meat since it's so fresh, its not dead all the way.

Sent from the talk of tap

Latest posts