Daughter's 1st turkey

puppy

Been trying to get my daughter her first bird since the start of last season and she had a couple swings and misses but it all came together this morning. Heard several off the roost but shut down as soon as hit the ground so we prospected for a while making a circle back to the truck. Got about 1/4 mile from truck and heard a bird gobble up the hill and since was in general direction of truck we started up the hill not expecting much. We made it to the old logging road that I wanted to get to before calling again and I let out a few yelps and they were in our lap, didn't know how many but at least 2 or 3. Got my daughter set up and ready then called again, they were so close I thought I should be able to see them; then caught movement. Finally got her to see them and got gun on them. By this time had cut distance to 25-30 yds and I said "Can you shoot?" she said "He is behind a tree." I said "There are 4 of them shoot a different one." she said "Oh" BOOM! 10.5" beard 1.25" spurs and 20 lbs. I been chasing these birds for 30 yrs as of this year and this was the best hunt ever had, so proud of her for sticking with it. Shot with my 1st gun that is 44 years old, .410 that I had threaded for tube, added FF3 and 383 Strokers, bang flop!

megalomaniac

Giant bird, and she looks so happy! Congrats to you both! In my experience, girls are much better turkey hunters than boys when they are young because they can be still longer.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts