CWD and buck dispersal

AT Hiker

Make sure you scroll down to see the animated GIF at work, it's very cool. The article itself is also very informing. However, I picked out a morbid bit of info.

"The story of buck 5092 then took another interesting turn. This buck died January 2018. Post-mortem testing revealed that he was infected with CWD. (He did not test positive at initial capture.) We can't be certain whether he was infected prior to dispersing or if he became infected later. Did he contract CWD within his natal range? How many deer did he interact with on his journey? How many mineral licks did he visit? Do deer like this have an outsized role in the spread of CWD across the landscape? These are tough questions to answer, but they highlight the importance of understanding the dispersal process."

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/research/artic ... ticleThree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairchaser

Dispersal is just one more factor in spreading this disease. I think we may discover there are more ways than we have even imagined. Our efforts to contain CWD while noble ultimately will fail. We must find a way to stop or cure this disease.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
fairchaser":2le5r68h said:
Dispersal is just one more factor in spreading this disease. I think we may discover there are more ways than we have even imagined. Our efforts to contain CWD while noble ultimately will fail. We must find a way to stop or cure this disease.

I am leaning this way as well. Whether it ever infects humans or not, it could very well (in decades) ultimately end deer hunting as we know it. No cure, 100% fatal, pretty easily spread in multiple ways...maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am, but this does not look good.

MUP

There's also no telling how many ag fields and food plots this buck visited either. Mind boggling at all the ways this buck could have contracted the disease. Prions already in the ground from where another dead deer had been, scavengers and the like.

MAGA

fairchaser":695g5hfk said:

Medicine doesn't know jack yugo about CWD or other prion diseases.
IMO mammals in general are facing a black swan event with regards to prion diseases.

JDBinTN

MUP":7g98t488 said:
There's also no telling how many ag fields and food plots this buck visited either. Mind boggling at all the ways this buck could have contracted the disease. Prions already in the ground from where another dead deer had been, scavengers and the like.

I know the TV guys are always talking about if you have the food late season you have the deer, I guess now that means if you have the food you have the CWD. We tried to do a "kill plot" or two on our lease a few years ago and deer mowed them down, it really concentrated the heard, I would think those micro plots should be viewed same as a mineral lick as far as spreading CWD is concerned.

Latest posts