CVA Wolf

CHRIS WILSON

80-85 gr by volume of blackhorn should provide a nice, mild recoiling load with that bullet weight. A lot of folks have been weighing their blackhorn charges for a while now. One thing that's been discovered about blackhorn is it can somewhat vary in weight from lot to lot so the conversion factor listed on the BH site doesnt necessarily hold true. Folks will usually take the average weight of ten volumetric loads with any given lot number due to the weight variation between the lots. Personally, I weighed my loads for a while and really didnt see much, if any improvement in groups, so I went back to measuring by volume.
I shot a 225 gr Barnes XPB with 85 gr by volume out of my Optima pistol for a good bit. Recoil was manageable even in the pistol and it was a pretty effective whitetail load within the ranges I shot with it...typically under 75 yards. Out of a rifle platform, it would be a nice load if you can get it to group well. I currently shoot 110 gr by volume with a 265 gr Fury in my Knight Ultra-lite.

mike243

Then you should know black powder and black powder substitutes are measured by volume then.
You do know that they can be weighed and be far more consistent than a volume measure ? , you think they measure smokeless by volume by weight or volume for a reason?

taylor j

You do know that they can be weighed and be far more consistent than a volume measure ? , you think they measure smokeless by volume by weight or volume for a reason?
Sure can be weighed but I figured a pro like yourself would know better than to ask people on here for load information. I think you'll have trouble stabilizing a 200 grain bullet at smoker speeds. I shoot a smokeless muzzleloader too!

mike243

I have been on here for a few years and I pretty much know who's knowledge can be trusted, same thing as calling a good friend and asking them, I am no expert on anything, better that somebody start from scratch and hurt them self's or somebody else? other folks have already done a lot of the home work I just need to fine tune a load, I have multiple bullet combo's that I can try.

GMB54

Ive weighed BH209 for years in my ChargeMaster 1500 combo.

Start off by volume. Throw 10 loads then weigh them. Take the average weight and you are set for that lot# of BH209. The conversion chart on Westerns site is a ballpark. Weight vs volume changed a few times with different lot numbers. The Lot# is on the bottle.

BH209 can easily match 5744 in speed with some bullet/sabot combinations. Especially with a 300gr bullet.

I think you'll have trouble stabilizing a 200 grain bullet at smoker speeds. I shoot a smokeless muzzleloader too!
Dayum thats funny right there. How did you come to this conclusion? What speed to you think is required for a 200gr bullet in a 1-28 twist CVA Wolf because ive shot a bucket load of much heavier bullets in various 1-28s over the years?

GMB54

I have some 200g and 240g XTP , have had good luck with all weights except 200g in my savage, blows the sabot . 100y for most shooting but want to know out to 150y in case.
You probably wont have that issue with BH209. It makes far less peak than N110. I would suggest getting some Harvester SMOOTH black sabots. The ones listed for upto 300gr bullets. You wont blow those with any BH209 load. Start at 90gr by volume and work up to whatever you need. The ballpark conversion is (volume x .7=weight). Usually between 90 and 110gr by volume will be the sweet spot depending on bullet weight.

taylor j

It's too light in my opinion. I wouldn't attempt anything less than 240 grain bullet. This is a 4 shot group @105 yards I shot monday. That's how I formed my opinion!

Attachments

• 0F539181-91A3-4924-A6F8-5B5CF9F9DA6C.jpeg
    0F539181-91A3-4924-A6F8-5B5CF9F9DA6C.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 54

GMB54

Your reply makes no sense. You said AT SMOKER SPEEDS it might not stabilize. Sure it will. Now you say a heavier bullet is needed. While i prefer a heavier bullet your assumption a 200gr WONT stabilize in a 1-28 is way off base. Makes me wonder how well versed you are on the topic to be honest. My go to low recoil bullet is the Barnes 225gr XPB. Shot them for years. They can shoot excellent in a 1-28 but they did better at less velocity in my 1-24s.

IMO you cant generate enough MV to OVER stabilize a 200gr 45cal in a 1-28 with BH209. You will max out close to 2200fps and i dont think you will even achieve that in the shorter Wolf barrel. Seems odd Western would offer the load data for a bullet that WONT stabilize. :rolleyes:

taylor j

Your reply makes no sense. You said AT SMOKER SPEEDS it might not stabilize. Sure it will. Now you say a heavier bullet is needed. While i prefer a heavier bullet your assumption a 200gr WONT stabilize in a 1-28 is way off base. Makes me wonder how well versed you are on the topic to be honest. My go to low recoil bullet is the Barnes 225gr XPB. Shot them for years. They can shoot excellent in a 1-28 but they did better at less velocity in my 1-24s.

IMO you cant generate enough MV to OVER stabilize a 200gr 45cal in a 1-28 with BH209. You will max out close to 2200fps and i dont think you will even achieve that in the shorter Wolf barrel. Seems odd Western would offer the load data for a bullet that WONT stabilize. :rolleyes:
Shoot them and find out. You'll waste your time and money.

GMB54

Shoot them and find out. You'll waste your time and money.
I have many times. No problem at all. Still shoot them in my NULA at over 2300fps. It will stack them under an inch at 100 yards and around an inch at 150. I shoot the little 225gr FTX for recreation. They shoot great at close to smoker speeds. Not sure where you get the idea its not going to stabilize.

The Wolf isnt exactly a long range rifle but inside of 150 or maybe 200 yards im sure it can do the job. Sub moa aint gunna be a deal breaker within that range. The deer wont know the difference between a 1" group and a 2" group. So posting cute little pics of a nifty little group really is not all that relevant to your "it wont stabilize" comment.

I would be more concerned about using that 240gr XTP MAG once the velocity drops. Them bullets got really thick jackets and expand poorly at lower fps as the distance increases. What performs great at 100 might be a pencil through at 150 without enough fps to back it up. The standard 250gr XTP in this case would be a better overall choice or better yet a Speer 260gr simply because they work well over a larger range of impact speeds.

mike243

I have plenty of the short smooth sabots still, I also have some 300g SST's if it gives me issues, also some 250g in a few flavors so got plenty to test with soon

GMB54

From what ive seen the Wolf will take one of these sabots
Harvester Short Black Smooth
Harvester Black CrushRib
MMP HPH-24 or the TEZ sabot....both are the same sabot. Barnes just has theirs dyed blue.

I suggest the "smooth black" since its a bit cheaper and a well known fit for many 50cal CVAs. Plus it should be plenty snug for BH209 and its a tough sabot. The HPH-24 is rather long for a 250gr or less but you might like them with a 300gr.

If you are not shooting further than 150 and likely under 100 you may want to try the less expensive 300gr XTP or even a 300gr 458 HP like the Sierra. Bullets like that were made for similar speeds you can achieve. They dont need warp speed to expand. That Sierra is a deer whacking monster at 1800fps. Something to think about in a rifle as light as the Wolf. Heavy loads and a heavy bullet thump hard on both ends.

LBAhunter

I shot the Barnes 185gr in an Opitma 50 with smooth black mmp sabots with BH209. Very accurate. Killer load. Mild recoil.

mike243

Well I had a few minutes to shoot 4 rounds, 35y or so, no crud ring and no problems firing, after a few shots adjusted a couple times and is at 1 o'clock touching center, left it till I can get to the range or behind the barn, prefer the range so maybe next weekend if they don't make me work Saturday ,70g weighed with a 200g xtp, will fire for effect at 100y and see if the consistency is good, thanks for the help guys

Latest posts