Crossbow vs Compound Bow

PharmDHunter

I really just got into hunting this gun season, though about 4 years ago I took down a small buck with a muzzleloader. I have become fascinated with hunting since watching
Meat Eater on Netflix a month ago and finally getting back into the woods after thanksgiving. With that said, id like to start planning even now for bow season next year. I have a missions by Matthews compound bow but I don't feel very confident to try to take a deer with it. What's the board's general thoughts on compound vs. crossbows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dburt

encore06":27h4m94u said:
Hunt with whichever makes you comfortable and a better/successful hunter. Both have their pro/cons.

ditto. i use a crossbow, and i started with that because it seemed easier...or, more like what i was used to with my rifle scope, except close range. there have already been occasions that i've wished for a compound for certain shots, but the crossbow has the advantage of being "cocked" and not requiring a stealthy and well planned draw.

from what I understand that's a great bow, and in a year's time you may feel comfortable enough to take a deer with it. I think if i were you and that's what i had i'd start with that. practice practice practice. i would suggest even from your tree stand once or twice.

Buzzard Breath

I shoot a compound. I really just like to shoot. It's sort of a daily meditation to me. I go out into the backyard and think about nothing but draw, anchor, release for 10 minutes a day. It completely helps me relax and get started with the day. If not some reason, I had to give up hunting, I'd still shoot my bow.

jb357

Go with the compound. You have plenty of time to become a good shot as long as you learn and practice correctly.

catman529

Keep practicing with the compound, make sure it is tuned, and fits your draw length and a comfortable draw weight. Take it to a bow shop and have them set it up for you. If you get a few months down the road and still can't shoot good, get a crossbow and also practice with it. It's much easier to shoot but still shoots an arrow which doesn't shoot like a bullet and will deflect off the smallest limbs.

dirtturner

I have taken 2 bucks at over 50 yards. Doubt that happens often with a crossbow, but as mentioned above. It is all about what works for you.

tree_ghost

I'm going to take a very logical approach to this....

I'd venture to say that it would be virtually impossible to find anyone who says it takes more consistency in your form to shoot a crossbow vs a vertical bow...the reason being is it's just not true. With a crossbow you simply aim, click safety off, and shoot. A compound bow requires much more technique than that to be able to consistently deliver arrows down range. The mechanics needed to develop these techniques require learning and practice. The beautiful thing about that is you have lots of time! I would highly encourage you to find some indoor 5 spot tournaments to shoot in during these next couple cold months and in the spring hit the 3D scene. There is no better teaching aid IMO than shooting with an experienced archer on a 3D course, not to mention it is a gas! You have already invested in this bow so do yourself a favor and hone your skill with it. Like Catman said, if you get to the end of the summer after shooting 3D and still aren't confident then you can always buy a crossbow and simply aim and shoot...!

Union Co. Boy

A shoulder injury has caused me to hang up my Matthews after decades of bow hunting. I use a crossbow now and was worried it would feel like cheating. That is not the case at all. It has its own challenges, and you still have to be within bow range of an animal. Just go with whatever you enjoy the most and let em fly! Good luck!

Rollo

I totally agree with tree ghost and catman. Go to a good bow shop and have everything checked out and make sure your setup is correct. Invest in a good release, or at least one that works best for you (if you haven't already done so). Lots of bow shops will let you try releases. Watch good shooters and learn from them. Hunting with a compound is much harder than a crossbow. Concealment while hunting is key not to get busted on the draw, whether it be natural surroundings or just the position of the deer. I've had a frustrating season this year and tell my self I'm taking my rifle or slug gun next time. But every morning I get up to head into the woods I still grab my bow.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I have a Mathews Creed and really enjoy it. I like shooting a vertical bow for the fun of it. BUT, If you hunt roofed box stands(unless they were build with archery hunting in mind) and some kinds of popup blinds, you'll be able to shoot a crossbow from them where you would not be able to use a compound at all.

Bone Collector

This is tough, because you have a high end compound bow that you invested money in. That being said, you could sell it or keep it and buy a CB. I started with a compound. I admittedly did not have the time and when I did, did not take the time to become proficient with it. Therefore it took me a while to kill a deer and I wounded one in the process. I stuck with it, got better and once I got one, I was able to kill more. That being said, with me and my wife having a son, and work demanding more, I realized that I did not have the time necessary to keep up practicing. I finally caved in and bought a CB and to be honest it is easier to kill them with that than a compound and they don't take AS MUCH practice as a compound. Also you don't have to stand to shoot (if you have a shooting rail) so you can take a sturdy rest, click the safety, and shoot.
I'd say inside 30 yds. CB's are superior to most compounds, but outside 30 the short arrows lose energy and the compound bows are better than CBs. Of course if you aren't shooting past 30 yds (I don't) then obviously the CB is the better choice.

Whatever you decide do not let the notion that you are cheapening the hunt or not as good a hunter, because you shot a deer with a crossbow vs. a compound be a deciding factor. Use what you are comfortable with and can deliver an ethical kill shot with consistently. If that is a CB, buy a CB.

PharmDHunter

Thanks for all of the advice. I greatly appreciate it. I will heed it and begin practicing and hopefully will be able to update you all this fall as to how it goes.

dryhorn2

I loved using a compound but after back & shoulder surgery it was time for a crossbow. Havent been is a few years but the wife got me a Cabelas Equalizer Crossbow this month for my birthday. Next year its back to early season hunting.

Winchester

No comparison IMO, Compound 100% over xgun. I could go on and on but a xgun is cumbersome and heavy, loud, restricts shooting directly behind you in a tree, etc.
It is however imo much more akin to a gun in many cases, as it requires no practice once the scope has been set, very little movement to shoot, simply ease it to your shoulder as you flip the safety off and pull the trigger, anything say 50 yards and in shouldnt be too much of a problem.
It really depends on the hunter and what they want to hunt with.

jb357

Winchester":32ghffyw said:
It really depends on the hunter and what they want to hunt with.
Exactly right.

Most people I know that hunt with a crossbow say they're alot harder to maneuver in the tree than a compound. Especially if you need to recock it.
Also crossbow bolts don't carry energy as well through bone. Heard of many deer lost to shoulder shots with only a couple inches of penetration with a crossbow

Mike Belt

Both are legal so go with what you want. I shoot a compound and will never consider shooting a crossbow until and if I become physically unable to shoot my compound. Bow hunting is a close range prospect and part of the allure for me is being able to get that close undetected and being able to draw and make the shot. Somehow a crossbow just doesn't fit the bill for me.

chewymalone

I've hunted with both since I was forced to use a crossbow after cervical fusion surgery several years ago. After that one season and my recovery, I went right back to my compound. Crossbows are great for shooting off of rests in the yard, but I found it cumbersome in the stand. I can adjust to various shooting angle scenarios much faster and quietly in the stand with my compound and the pins are much easier to see and get on target quickly compared to the crossbow scope or red dot devices. Plus it's much lighter to carry in of you're covering some distance. Hands down no comparison for me.

tree_ghost

PharmDHunter":1opasumd said:
Thanks for all of the advice. I greatly appreciate it. I will heed it and begin practicing and hopefully will be able to update you all this fall as to how it goes.

What part of the state are you in? I'm sure we have someone on here that you cold hook up with for 3D season...

PharmDHunter

tree_ghost":2xe0h3du said:
PharmDHunter":2xe0h3du said:

What part of the state are you in? I'm sure we have someone on here that you cold hook up with for 3D season...

East TN - Hamblen/Greene County

Latest posts