Crossbow scopes?

PillsburyDoughboy

Looking for some good glass to put on a crossbow. Looks like Leupold made a good Crossbow Scope but its been discontinued for a few years. Same with Nikon. Seeing several reviews online of crossbow scopes but not familiar with the brand names . Could use some advice. Seeing lots ads for Vortex but every Vortex scope I have looked at compared to Quality Glass seems subpar so not really interested in anything Vortex has to offer. I did a search on here but Most of the threads on Crossbow scopes on here are really old. Like 2013 and 2015. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Rakkin6

Looking for some good glass to put on a crossbow. Looks like Leupold made a good Crossbow Scope but its been discontinued for a few years. Same with Nikon. Seeing several reviews online of crossbow scopes but not familiar with the brand names . Could use some advice. I did a search on here but Most of the threads on Crossbow scopes on here are really old. Like 2013 and 2015. Thanks in advance.
Tenpoint makes really good scopes that come on their bows. I have the Rangemaster Pro on one crossbow and and the Evo X scope on my.other crossbow. Hawke also makes really good scopes also. And I do not have personal experience with them but I know people that do and they like the HHA optimizer setup also. Make sure look at the scopes specifically, different models are made for different speed bows. Some scopes are for bows that shoot from 350 FPS to 425 FPS some are made for bows that shoot from 375 to 500 FPS. Get the right one one for your setup, this will help with the holdovers in the BDC reticle.

PillsburyDoughboy

Tenpoint makes really good scopes that come on their bows. I have the Rangemaster Pro on one crossbow and and the Evo X scope on my.other crossbow. Hawke also makes really good scopes also. And I do not have personal experience with them but I know people that do and they like the HHA optimizer setup also. Make sure look at the scopes specifically, different models are made for different speed bows. Some scopes are for bows that shoot from 350 FPS to 425 FPS some are made for bows that shoot from 375 to 500 FPS. Get the right one one for your setup, this will help with the holdovers in the BDC reticle.
I was looking at the Hawke. looks like its adjustable for speed from 275 to 425 with just a dial. Once its sighted in at 20 yards it shoots flat with the cross hairs out to 100 yards. I would never shoot a animal out to those distances but sure seems nice knowing the scope has that capability. Watched a couple of youtube videos and the reviews looked pretty good on them. I am pretty picky about clarity in glass so I may order one up on Amazon and see how it looks. If its not satisfactory they are really good about returns.

TheLBLman

Tenpoint makes really good scopes that come on their bows. I have the Rangemaster Pro on one crossbow and and the Evo X scope on my.other crossbow. Hawke also makes really good scopes also.
I will second Rakkin6's statements here.

I was in the process of buying Hawke's top crossbow scope when a friend showed me the Tenpoint Rangemaster Pro. These two are more similar than different, but the Tenpoint Rangemaster Pro is less confusing to use, with easier to see aiming points.

MOST "crossbow" designated scopes are low-quality glass, i.e. "cheap" crap.
Some of the worst have been Excalibur's,
never mind I'm a big fan of Excalibur's crossbows, just not their scopes.
I was given Excalibur's latest top-of-the line crossbow scope, and it does appear to be decent.
(I guess they just wanted me to stop saying bad things about their scopes!)

Currently, I am using three different crossbow scopes.

1) A 1.5-4.5x Nikon Monarch "shotgun" scope.
This is on a "back-up" crossbow, and placed in use when I simply couldn't find a decent "crossbow" scope. When I get around to it, will probably replace this with the Excalibur scope was given, and then put this "shotgun" scope back on a shotgun.

2) Tenpoint Rangemaster Pro ---- actually love this "crossbow" scope.

3) Burris Oracle X --- the one I most often use
I mainly got this because it's was the only "crossbow" scope I could find with 2x magnification (i.e. wide field of view), that could also be cranked up to 7x without changing POI while using the same aiming points. It also has a built-in rangefinder. I did not get this scope for long-range shooting. I got it because I wanted a wide field of view and a built-in rangefinder.

On top of being "junk", most crossbow scopes have too much magnification for shooting at an average distance of somewhere around 20 - 25 yds.

How much of any deer can you "see" at 15-20 yds when your rifle scope is set on 4x or higher magnification? Magnification of @ 4x to 5x is where most "crossbow" scopes get set. That is more a liability than an asset. The way most "crossbow" scopes work, the higher your arrow (or bolt) velocity, the more magnification you must use (to make the aim points work correctly). It's akin to placing a fixed 12x scope on a 30-30 lever action rifle for shooting at deer under 100 yds.

Rakkin6

I was looking at the Hawke. looks like its adjustable for speed from 275 to 425 with just a dial. Once its sighted in at 20 yards it shoots flat with the cross hairs out to 100 yards. I would never shoot a animal out to those distances but sure seems nice knowing the scope has that capability. Watched a couple of youtube videos and the reviews looked pretty good on them. I am pretty picky about clarity in glass so I may order one up on Amazon and see how it looks. If its not satisfactory they are really good about returns.
Yeah I wasn't sure of the exact numbers on the speed rings for both Hawke and Tenpoint. Was just more of a generalization to make sure you didn't accidentally order the wrong one for your setup.

jetwrnch

I have the Nikon Bolt. I'm a scope snob and really like this one. There are a few on Ebay right now for $300. Fixed 3x and no speed adjustment, but even 10yd increments if you're between around 300 to 350fps.

PillsburyDoughboy

I am going to have to dive deeper into the setting on this scope later so maybe someone can educate me on how these "speed ratings" work on the adjustable ring on these scopes that enc operate both the power and speed ratings.

So I wound up ordering a PSE Fang which has a HDV 425 1.5-5x32 . Overall looks like a pretty decent out of the box entry level crossbow. At this point I just can't justify buying a 1K+Crossbow in order to hunt maybe 2 times a year as my schedule does not dictate I get to hunt more than that anymore. Any crossbow I was going to order I figure I was going to take the hunk of junk glass off and put something good on. This speed scope looks like it might just be the same type of the Hawke. Where as the Speed Ring and the power ring are one of the same. As you adjust the Speed of the Ring you are also adjusting the power of the optic. Seems to me that is a little on the weird side.

So maybe someone can help me out here and explain it to me.

TheLBLman

As you adjust the Speed of the Ring you are also adjusting the power of the optic.

It's actually simply a case of adjusting a variable power scope, in your case a 1.5 - 5x variable scope.

You're adjusting the magnification, same as on any other variable scope.

Someone just figured out that for different arrow velocities, there was a magnification setting, perhaps it might be 4x or so, where the little aim points will coincide with your point of impact (POI). "Crossbow" scopes have multiple aim points, but there is only a single exact magnification that will make both the 20 yd & the 40 yd aim points hit where aimed.

The disappointing aspect of this is that you cannot use your scope as a variable scope,
since you must leave it "set" at whatever magnification setting works out.
IMO, all these types scopes end up having you with too much magnification
when most your targets are going to under 30 yds.

If you were actually "choosing" a fixed magnification for shots mostly under 30 yds, but rarely over 40, you might "choose" 1.5 to 2.5x ?

The Nikon Bolt is a little different, since it's a fixed 3x scope, i.e. greater field of view than the "variable" crossbow scope. One exception is the Burris Oracle which does allow normal use of its 2 - 7x magnification.

Another idea is to just use a low-power shotgun scope, sight it in for 25 yds, and use "Kentucky" elevation for less than or more than 25 yds. This works fairly well out to 30 yds, and you're never at risk of using the wrong aim point, which is a risk with any sight having multiple aim points.

PillsburyDoughboy

It's actually simply a case of adjusting a variable power scope, in your case a 1.5 - 5x variable scope.

You're adjusting the magnification, same as on any other variable scope.

Someone just figured out that for different arrow velocities, there was a magnification setting, perhaps it might be 4x or so, where the little aim points will coincide with your point of impact (POI). "Crossbow" scopes have multiple aim points, but there is only a single exact magnification that will make both the 20 yd & the 40 yd aim points hit where aimed.

The disappointing aspect of this is that you cannot use your scope as a variable scope,
since you must leave it "set" at whatever magnification setting works out.
IMO, all these types scopes end up having you with too much magnification
when most your targets are going to under 30 yds.

If you were actually "choosing" a fixed magnification for shots mostly under 30 yds, but rarely over 40, you might "choose" 1.5 to 2.5x ?

The Nikon Bolt is a little different, since it's a fixed 3x scope, i.e. greater field of view than the "variable" crossbow scope. One exception is the Burris Oracle which does allow normal use of its 2 - 7x magnification.

Another idea is to just use a low-power shotgun scope, sight it in for 25 yds, and use "Kentucky" elevation for less than or more than 25 yds. This works fairly well out to 30 yds, and you're never at risk of using the wrong aim point, which is a risk with any sight having multiple aim points.
Got it! Thanks

Rakkin6

Yeah just like LBL said just adjust your speed rings to your speed of your crossbow. So I did a little research and that setup with the 22" bolts that come with it should be shooting right at 400 FPS. So set the speed ring at 400 and you should be very close with some minor adjustments at 20 yards on your vertical placement.

Just FYSA with those 22" arrows watch out for clearance with the larger mechanical or fixed blade heads. They will come out almost all the way to the bottom of the foot stirrup. You can get by with some 20" arrows no problem. The weight of those arrows with a 100 grain head is 422 grains. You could actually change that up to a 20" arrow at 450 grains and still be shooting about 385-390 FPS. Have more options on heads a better FOC and more KE. That is if you are so inclined to do so. This will make your setup more accurate. I think the arrows that come with it our Victory which are fine arrows. But if you did decide to go this route look at some Black Eagle Executioners. Best of luck this year with the new bow and stay safe. I hope you get a nice one.

PillsburyDoughboy

Yeah just like LBL said just adjust your speed rings to your speed of your crossbow. So I did a little research and that setup with the 22" bolts that come with it should be shooting right at 400 FPS. So set the speed ring at 400 and you should be very close with some minor adjustments at 20 yards on your vertical placement.

Just FYSA with those 22" arrows watch out for clearance with the larger mechanical or fixed blade heads. They will come out almost all the way to the bottom of the foot stirrup. You can get by with some 20" arrows no problem. The weight of those arrows with a 100 grain head is 422 grains. You could actually change that up to a 20" arrow at 450 grains and still be shooting about 385-390 FPS. Have more options on heads a better FOC and more KE. That is if you are so inclined to do so. This will make your setup more accurate. I think the arrows that come with it our Victory which are fine arrows. But if you did decide to go this route look at some Black Eagle Executioners. Best of luck this year with the new bow and stay safe. I hope you get a nice one.
Thanks for the information on the Factory Arrows... I did do some research on the arrows and your right. The 20 inch arrows do seem the way to go so I ordered up some in the process. Initially I shot the ones that came with it to sight it in wanting to see what it did performance wise the way the factory sent it. This AM I put in the 20 inch arrows I ordered which were Carbon Express Pile Drivers. They seem to be hitting in the exact same point of impact as the Factory Arrows. The bad news is the Fletchings were horribly attached to these arrows. Sad because I have had good luck with Carbon Express in the past. After just ONE shooting session the fletchings were coming off so I will be returning these and ordering the ones you suggested.

So far this Cheap entry level bow is impressing me. The scope is responding the way its suppose to for a cheap Chinese POS. Still going to upgrade to a better piece of glass. Just want to buy right the first time.
Thank you for your kindly response.

PillsburyDoughboy

Amazon product ASIN B00K3XG4LI Just to Confirm this is the Correct Link?

Rakkin6

Amazon product ASIN B00K3XG4LI Just to Confirm this is the Correct Link?
I would maybe call Jerry at South Shore Archery for the Executioners if you have the time. Will probably take about a week to get them. Tell him your setup and what you want and he will hook you up. Best arrow builder I know of. He will get them nock tuned for you and put whichever inserts and nocks you
want on them. If you need them now though the link you have are the correct arrows.

Last edited by a moderator:

PillsburyDoughboy

I would maybe call Jerry at South Shore Archery for the Executioners if you have the time. Will probably take about a week to get them. Tell him your setup and what you want and he will hook you up. Best arrow builder I know of. He will get them nock tuned for you and out whichever inserts and nocks toy want on them. If you need them now though the link is the correct arrows.
That's good information to know. Thanks. I use to have a good place to go to get arrows made but they got too busy to do that. Now they will not even fix fletchings when they come off. Sad. I have a about 3 dozen Gold Tip Arrows that I bought for my Compound Bow that have served me well in the past that when I caught them on sale I just bought them up.

1984dog

I recently put the Vortex Crossfire scope on my Ravin. It is a little different in that the crosshairs are set at 40 yards with the 30 yd and 20 yd marks above the main crosshair. This is really not that bad because if you use the 40 yd crosshair, you will be 2.5 inches at 30 yds and 4 inches high at 20 yards. The scope is set out to 100 yards if you dare to shoot that far. I can shoot 2" groups at 50 yards. This scope has a little better light gathering abilities than the Ravin scope which helps at dawn and dusk.

Another scope to consider is a Sig Sauer BDX scope. You can custom set the scope settings with an iPhone app. If you pair it with a Sig BDX range finder, it will firedot the scope for very accurate shooting at whatever distance. The good thing about this is that changing the magnification of the scope without changing the redical. This should be great for those low light conditions where you can dial the scope down to get a brighter image. This is a little bit pricey, but if you do not mind switching the scope over to a hunting rifle after archery season - it is not a bad option.

tasaman

Check the weights of each scope you are interested in. I picked up a Killer Instinct speed ring scope and was surprised how heavy it was. I put that sucker right back. I own a Centerpoint and the scope it came with is very light. I was looking to upgrade as well.

Lt.Dan

Looking for some good glass to put on a crossbow. Looks like Leupold made a good Crossbow Scope but its been discontinued for a few years. Same with Nikon. Seeing several reviews online of crossbow scopes but not familiar with the brand names . Could use some advice. Seeing lots ads for Vortex but every Vortex scope I have looked at compared to Quality Glass seems subpar so not really interested in anything Vortex has to offer. I did a search on here but Most of the threads on Crossbow scopes on here are really old. Like 2013 and 2015. Thanks in advance.
I'm sure you've made a decision by now. I will still pass along my knowledge for future reader's and reference. I'm partial to Vortex Optics for many reason and the Vortex Crossfire II crossbow scope is a great choice at a reasonable price. Once you sight it in at 40 yards using the center crosshair, then you adjust the speed ring (magnification ring) to your xbows approximate speed (ie: 370fps). Using the sixty yard crosshair you shoot a bolt out to 60 yards. Keeping your aim point you adjust the speed ring to match the bolts impact. Then you shoot another bolt and you should be dead on point of aim. Fine tuning may be required (if you are extremely OCD like me). Once you are set, this scope will have you dead on at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards using each corresponding yardage maker in the reticle.

This is a link to the Vortex website for the Crossfire II Crossbow scope. Scroll down the page for the user manual and you will get a much better understanding of how the scope works.

Latest posts