Food Plots Crimson clover

BSK

Personally, I've never seen Crimson Clover grow this tall. It is mixed with wheat.

Attachments

• plots44.jpg
    plots44.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 16

megalomaniac

Looks great guys! Mine has done really well this spring as well. Mostly Balansa, with a little crimson mixed in. Wheat was spotty due to drought last fall, clover stunted as well, but enough established to fill in a lot or bare spots. Not a drop of fertilizer at time of fall planting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416_161557_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_161557_Gallery.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 5

BSK

Looks great guys! Mine has done really well this spring as well. Mostly Balansa, with a little crimson mixed in. Wheat was spotty due to drought last fall, clover stunted as well, but enough established to fill in a lot or bare spots. Not a drop of fertilizer at time of fall planting.
Is that one of the plots you will drill in summer crops, or do you leave that plot in clover all year?

megalomaniac

It will get bushhoged in 3w, spray a week later, then drill for summer.

I'm experimenting this year... planting the whole 8 ac in beans, millet, sorgham as usual, but this fall I'm going to plant lanes and microplots and leave the rest standing in the tall sorgham so deer HAVE to wander throughout it to check for does. Maybe a failure, but I'm always experimenting!

BSK

It will get bushhoged in 3w, spray a week later, then drill for summer.

I'm experimenting this year... planting the whole 8 ac in beans, millet, sorgham as usual, but this fall I'm going to plant lanes and microplots and leave the rest standing in the tall sorgham so deer HAVE to wander throughout it to check for does. Maybe a failure, but I'm always experimenting!

Experimentation is the only way to learn.

rem270

I mowed mine down around end of March so it wouldn't be too tall for the turkeys. It's already thickened up pretty good and probably too tall for the turkeys liking but I don't want to mow it again. That being said, what can I spray on it to kill the grass out of it but not hurt the clover? I know I've seen it somewhere before but didn't go to digging for it.

JAD

I mowed mine down around end of March so it wouldn't be too tall for the turkeys. It's already thickened up pretty good and probably too tall for the turkeys liking but I don't want to mow it again. That being said, what can I spray on it to kill the grass out of it but not hurt the clover? I know I've seen it somewhere before but didn't go to digging for it.
Clethodim for the grass. Won't hurt the clover.

Latest posts