Creek/small river

Midten20

Hey folks! Long time outdoorsman here in the mid state, as I get get older I've been leaning into fishing a lot more and was just wondering if some salty old dogs might be willing to slide us some tricks for getting on fish (more so smallies) on some of these smaller streams and creeks. Ive got a jet outboard that I can get up in some skinny water. But just looking for some helpful tips from people in my actually back yard that can give some clues. I like to get on the piney and buffalo and duck and this is really my first year going after them hard in the winter months and cant quite figure out how to find them and then catch them. I know slowing it down is key but just looking for some tips from the vets of the area that might be willing to help. Good luck out there!

Chickencoop96

spinning rod, braid with fluorocarbon leader about the length of rod, ned rig. cast that sucker anywhere around rocks and they eat it up. you'll catch alot of pecker heads but every now and then you'll hook into a good one. if you're into live bait then use shiners up river and troll for em.

PatBoCam

I like shaky head, roadrunner jig, or small crankbait around big chunk rock banks with deeper water at the end of ripple sections.

Doecrusher

Ned rig from 1/16 upto 3/16 with TRD or keitech easy shiner. Lighter the better just throw it out and let it fall and give it couple pops then reel in and repeat. Lipless cranks around rock. Finesse jigs and jig worms. Jerk baits if it ever gets colder. Bluffs and deep water.

Midten20

Once you use a Nikko hellgramite your life will be changed forever! 😉

You know with all the hype I threw the Nikko a lot this summer and just never really had any real luck or good days with it.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions went out Friday before the storms got the river up and rolling and got into a few. All on a 3 or 4 inch pumpkin lizard.

CATCHDAWG

You know with all the hype I threw the Nikko a lot this summer and just never really had any real luck or good days with it.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions went out Friday before the storms got the river up and rolling and got into a few. All on a 3 or 4 inch pumpkin lizard.
That's strange. I can usually catch fish with the Nikko when I can't get them to hit anything else. I use the lightest jig head possible and drift them. Basically, the same way you would drift a nymph fly fishing. Glad you got on some fish!

Longbow2240

Zoom Tiny Brush Hog, Texas rigged on a #1 EWG (I prefer Gamakastu) hook and 1/16oz worm weight. I use a 6'6" ft spinning rod and reel, 10lb Pline

Latest posts