creek fish in winter ??

fishboy1

We have a medium size creek say 10-15 yds wide in our area I like to fish.
It eventually drains into center hill after meeting up with 2 other rivers. Last summer I caught smallies, rainbow trout (stockers) redeye, bluegills..
This year....nothing. Nothing bigger than a minnow following my rooster tail.

Do the fish move out of the cold water creeks during winter, then move back up in spring/summer as the water warms?
Does high water flush the fish downstream until the water flow regulates in the late spring/summer?

OR did the otters I saw clean the creek out?

Planking

I was in my treestand on a creek bank and I watched otters work that creek right under me. I don't see how anything could have survived and from the looks of it nothing did.

CATCHDAWG

The creek on my place is about the same size and it seems almost impossible to catch fish in cooler weather. Once it warms up, they'll hit about anything you throw. I also have otters and they can wreak havoc on the fish. I have also witnessed them working root balls and log jams and they work them hard (in groups) but the fish seem to do ok. Otters will come and go working their way up and down the creek and the fish seem to do the same. Give it some more consistent warm weather and try again.

MickThompson

I've caught a few as early as March before but rarely hit the creeks until the water settles down on into early May. I think a lot of fish overwinter in deep holes or bigger streams then move into the smaller tribs to spawn and stay for the summer.

Latest posts