Coyotes in Cumberland Co.

TN.Frank

Woke up (again) last night at around 2am to a high pitch barking(sounded like two or three of em')coming from out behind the house in the barnyard. I think we've got coyotes in the area since this happened a couple weeks ago and I found one of our barn cats dead the next day. I need info on what or how to draw em' in so I can pop the suckers. I don't want all of our rabbits and barn cats killed off by a bunch of dang 'yotes. I"ve got a .220 Swift and a Mossberg 500 12ga w/rifle sighted barrel(better to place a pattern of buck shot with then bead sight) and wonder which I'll use. The rifle gives me range but at night a pattern of 00 buck would help with close in hits. Anyway, Talk to me people. How can I nail these suckers.

Darkthirty II

If the yote killed the cat, then you should have never found the cat, unless it is in poop form. Cats are candy to a yote. Get you some Hevi Shot in BB's and there will still be fur hanging in the air when you get up the next morning. If your gonna shoot buckshot, I would go with 4B. Could be wild dogs, and previous loads will work sufficiently for them also.

bowhunter 51

I agree with Dark30, if'n it was coyote, you'd never would'a
found no cat...Chances are...Other cats...probably males
fighting over territory...They can be brutal & lead to fatality.
The 22Swift with head lamp or flashlight should correct the
problem, if'n your in a sportsman like mood...The shotgun should
work if'n you ain't....Baited live trap is good too......BH51

rem270

there bad around my house too.. they keep the dogs barking almost every night. occasionally one will mosy up to the backyard but it always runs off before i can get a shot

TN.Frank

I found some animal sounds on a web site and sure enough the Coyote sound is the one I heard on both occasions. I know it's 'yotes. My nephew is going to bring his spotlight and AR-15 over in a couple weeks, I'll get the shotgun out and he also has some calls, we'll see what we can do. If I get anything I'll post some pics. Thanks guys.

PickettSFHunter

Yep its illegal to hunt them at night. That is what I was going to suggest though lol. Im not suggesting this BUT, I would have my lights rigged up and ready to just hit a switch where they will come on. Have a bait set out(a carcass of something), and have the light aimed right at it. When you hear them start yapping around, just flip the switch and blast away with a AR or some buckshot. Or just shine the bait periodically throughout the night because they may not be howling or anything. Using a red lense would also be best on your light. But hey, im not suggesting that! lol

Joe Stephenson

Try hunting them, or even trapping them. Make sure you look at the laws. A lot of things that have been mentioned here are illegal. I hunt them myself, and am by no means an expert, but will help any way I can. Email me or send me a PM if you have any questions.

Joe

Latest posts