Coyote ???

Blucollar

I put this on the general forum but probably should have put it here. Anyway, wanted some tips on hunting the yotes. I have limited time and a couple of farms with some sign but I haven't seen any.
Any advice or shortcuts would help alot. thanks.

The yotes are active mainly at night due to the heat. Your best bet would be very early and very late in the day. I like rabbit and rodent distress on my Foxpro, you may have to get aggressive to get them interested. The evening is always better for me, right now they are working night shift. Remember not to shoot the foxes if they come in, they are out of season. You need to be as scent free as possible and have full camo including hands and face. The odds are that you have called in coyotes, but they did'nt come into view or you got busted before you saw them. Your setup is very important because your movement will be limited when your calling and it seems like they always come in behind you. Coyotes tend to circle downwind of the call so be prepared to shoot in that direction, but this will be determined by the layout of the terrain also. Try to think like a coyote and spend that extra time finding a good set location and it will payoff in the end.
Good Luck

Joe Stephenson

I can second most of that, but more importantly than scent, is the wind direction in general. Like deer hunting, make sure you hunt the downwind side, but make sure you can see down wind from you. good luck.

Blucollar

I was going to try mouth calls first, just because of exspense, will they work ok?
And about how far should I set up from where I expect to shoot?
Also it will probably get a little cooler before I go much.

Smoke

Mouth calls should work just fine. Rabbit distress, fawn distress, and puppy whines should get em running. Dont overcall. I like to call for 2-3 min. and wait about 5 min and start again. Like everyone else has said wind direction is very important. I like to set up with a crosswind watching where i expect them to come from. That way you can watch downwind and watch to see what is circling on you. As far as how far to set up that depends on how far you are comfortable shooting. When you spot them coming in switch to lip squeaking instead of your call. That will free up your hands to get your gun ready and will keep the yotes coming. Hope this will help you a little and if you have any more questions just hollar. Yotes are a blast to hunt and it really gets your blood pumping to see em running at a dead sprint at ya.

statelineRUT

Somebody say COYOTE :grin:

I agree with everything said and more. I have found that if you can get a decoy of somekind to set out it will take the attention off of you and enable the coyote to key in on it. Rabbit distress works well all year long due to the fact that they eat every day and they love rabbit :) I would try just at sun up and try to set up with your back against a thicket or somewhere to force the coyote to come into the open to get to the decoy. They very often will use a fence line, creek, or anything else of structure to come into the call. But do not be surprised if they just come charging right across a filed or open area. they are very unpredictable. Just when you think they will come an area you are expecting they will fool you an make you look silly. Also do not walk to the stand to where you think the coyote will approach from. If they get to where you walked they are gone. Always remember where you walked and try to stop him with a bark before he gets to your path. Most of the time they will check up when you bark at them for just a couple of seconds. That about all the time you will have. Now having just said that, they can be very unpredictable. Two weekends ago I set up on a huge field that had been freshly cut. I was expecting this dog to come around the edge of the field thru a gap where he has been seen entering quite often. NOT! He showed up at about 200 yards in the middle of the field. He came all the way in and I barked and he started his hopping trot. Yup I missed. But is was still fun to say the least. the only way to learn is get out there and get after them. And remember a dying rabbit doesn't sound pretty, so just blow that call and get ready.

Blucollar

One other thing, what about using man made cover, such as barns, sheds, etc. to set up in.

And is there an advantage to being off the groud like with deer?

WRF

As a disclaimer, I have never predator hunted, but I would imagine that the coyotes are still chowing down on the fawns. Perhaps try out a fawn bleat.

m.Creek

I have better luck calling yotes using Howls or Pup Distress sounds.

Also Infoman, I thought that the law regarding Electronic calls and foxes was changed this year.

All I seen was Turkeys couldn't be called with E-calls in the regs this year.

trealtree

Ive been seeing lots of coyotes in the daylight ours in the past few weeks 1 was jet black (first I have seen). Most of them were hunting field mice.

Latest posts