Covert vs. Browning vs. Bushnell?

Southern Sportsman

I'm looking to get a couple more cameras. I've narrowed it to 3 options in the price range I'm looking for.

Covert MP8 Black (2 yr warranty)

Browning (BTC-6) Dark Ops

Bushnell Trophy Cam Max Aggressor

I have used Coverts for the last several years and have been really happy with them. But I've heard good things about the Browning. Bushnell is a little more expensive, but has good ratings for trigger speed and video. I mainly use picture mode, but have used video on a buddy's cam. Browning has 10MP pictures, while others are 8. Anybody had side by side experience? Suggestions?

I'll be buying on ebay. Cams are new but may be a previous year model. That doesnt bother me unless there was a problem with a particular year model, and I'm not aware of any.

landman

Re: Covert vs. Browning vs. Bushnell

If you buy from TrailCamPro.com they all ussually a 2 yr warranty and sometimes come with a card too

TheLBLman

Overall, of the 3 brands you listed, I like the overall value & features best on the Browning Dark Ops.
It will retain it's weather/water-resistance longest due to a superior door design (never any opportunity for water to get in from top, where the others have a rubberized door seal on top that eventually breaks down).

Doubt you'll see much difference in the pic quality of any the above mentioned.
There are some differences in available features & settings, but overall, the Browning has the most useful options for me.
There are some applications where I prefer Bushnell's "2x field scan" mode over the Browning's.

I have not used or purchased a Covert later than their 2014 models.
If you purchase many cams, you'll likely have some quality control issues will all brands,
so it remains somewhat a crap shoot no matter what you choose, and you'll likely have to return a cam for repair or replacement.
All the above will likely treat you right now should you need some customer service after the sale.
But be sure to save your receipts of purchase.

By the way, the megapixel ratings are mostly hype with all of them.
They can "interpolate" a 3 to 6 mp imager up to whatever they want (like 20mp),
but it's still basically the image quality of 4 to 6 mp,
and what you ultimately end up with is greatly effected by the glass quality,
or perhaps we should say plastic.

If you want "see" what I'm talking about with the mp ratings,
compare a real Sony or Nikon 8mp camera's pictures
to an 8mp "rated" trail cam's pictures.

Jmed

My vote is covert simply because of the customer service. the brownings have been great cams but their customer service took me to a middle eastern fellow. Call covert, and you will speak with a red blooded Kentuckian

holstonangler

I bought two new dark ops and had to return both for defects, one had a bad sensor, the other one had a battery case that wouldn't stay in. The replacements work well, but the trouble i had with their bad customer service left a bad impression.

mossyoakmantn

I've got both. I'm on number 2 for Browning. I had to take it back. Now this one isn't working. When Browning cams work they are awesome but right now I'm not happy with them. I just got a new Bushnell. Having issues with it as well. It's been out 2 weeks and not a single pic. It's fixin to go back.

TheLBLman

As I stated earlier, the "newest" Covert model I've been using is a 2014 model,
but I've had quality-control issues with all brands ---- imo, it makes little difference which brand you purchase, you are likely to have some issues, and may need to return a cam for replacement.

So far, all in this discussion are manufactured in China, and I believe in the same factory, with each having some different "brand" housing and different programming. They are then "distributed" by various companies, such as Covert, Browning, Bushnell, etc.

Different year models (even of the same cam) seem to be hit or miss.
I have a 2012 model Covert that has never worked anything less than perfectly ---- and that year's model is what turned so many on to Covert.
Yet all my 2013 & 2014 year models were problematic.
I do agree that Covert has the best & most personal customer service.

On the other hand, recently I have had comparably good customer service with both Browning & Bushnell,
never mind I did have one of my worst customer service experiences a few years ago with Bushnell.
But no brand is exempt from your likely having some quality control issues,
or simply getting a brand new cam that will not even power up.

The good news is, especially among the above 3 brands, quality control appears to be steadily improving as has customer service.
But with any of them, you could purchase a couple particular cams, love them, then have your best friend buy two of same, and both his may be total duds.

Latest posts