Cousin Killed a Good One

bowhunterfanatic

DSCF14062.jpg

Before

5EE416E9-B976-4B4A-AF30-9FCB826E40FE-7804-00000734269F5156.jpg

After

My cousin killed this big six tonight in a fairly open wooded lot feeding on acorns. He actually shot this deer last year with a bow but obviously it was a non fatal glancing blow. Really happy for him that he was able to kill him this year. He was killed just a little over a mile from where the trail cam picture was taken. Pretty sure the deer was 3.5.

Jaahspike

very awesome. I had the chance to kill a big six 3 years ago but never was able to close the deal. They are quite awesome when they get 3.5 and up!

bowhunterfanatic

Wes Parrish said:
Nice one!

Are you 100% certain that's the same buck as in the pic?

Reason I ask is noticed the left main beam tip is elevated higher in the live pic than it appears in the kill pic.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain it has to be. I run cameras all over the area this deer was killed and had no other pictures of a big 6 that looked like this one. Also, what are the odds of 2 deer that similar in such a small area? I'll put a cam back up soon to make sure I don't get any more pictures of the deer in the trail cam photo.

TheLBLman

bowhunterfanatic said:
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain it has to be. . . . . what are the odds of 2 deer that similar in such a small area?
The odds you would have two mature 6-pointers that similar are extremely low, and I do believe it's most probably the same buck. But if you take some more pics at various angles, and they consistently show the live buck with a higher pointed left main beam than the dead buck, you may have had two very similar mature 6-pointers (could have been twins). In the case of mature mainframe 6-pointers, may actually be a higher probability of having such similar antlered bucks in a small area (twins) vs. widely separated geographical areas.

Now, this may just be a bit of an optical illusion due to only seeing a single pic, but the harvested buck's right main beam tip appears to have more curvature upward (final couple inches) than seen on the living buck's pic.

Latest posts