Food Plots Corn

drrxnupe

Its a 6 acre field that has been disked before. We broadcasted and cultipacked a mix for doves (milo, sunflower, millet) . Later we overseeded with wheat. It could use a good burn off with gly before we do anything else. I'm planning to soil test soon but I'm also 100% sure that the soil is pretty acidic.

spoon

Don't use gly for your chemical burn, use Atrazine. This will kill everything. Then put out 100 lbs per acre of triple 19
Work it into the soil and plant at 6-7" spacing with 30-38"
Rows. When the plants reach 8" at the second leaf, spread 100 Lbs of 34-0-0. About week to 10 days after a rain, spray with gly and spray once more as needed

drrxnupe

spoon":3a20hvnj said:
Don't use gly for your chemical burn, use Atrazine. This will kill everything. Then put out 100 lbs per acre of triple 19
Rows. When the plants reach 8" at the second leaf, spread 100
Lbs of 36-0-0. About week to 10 days after a rain, spray with gly and spray once more as needed

Thanks. I assume that I have to use Round-up ready corn for these directions, right?

ADR

Spoon nailed it. Only thing I would add is to lime ASAP. I would do soil sample first but some just do 2-3 ton/acre.

drrxnupe

So I did a Google search on atrazine. Boy that stuff is scary in that it sticks around for a while. If I burn down with atratzine, then I probably can't overseed with a cover crop the following fall right?

spoon

Straight atrazine, no. Now if you cut it way back and mix with duel and have a ph over 7.0 ( higher the ph the faster atrazine will break down) then you would have a better chance of planting a cover crop

spoon

KubotaM4900":6it45jl1 said:
Isn't atrazine still restricted for purchase? Thought it was last time I was gonna get some.

Yes, call this number to find out when the testing in your area, it's only 15 dollars
(615) 837-5148

KubotaM4900

spoon":scvpvts4 said:
KubotaM4900":scvpvts4 said:
Isn't atrazine still restricted for purchase? Thought it was last time I was gonna get some.

Yes, call this number to find out when the testing in your area, it's only 15 dollars
(615) 837-5148

Don't mean to hijack but tell more. I've been considering getting the applicators licence but never did. Is the test the only step in getting certified? I'll look more into it but since you know some abt it I'd just ask.

Chaneylake

spoon":38x9fd5y said:
Rows. When the plants reach 8" at the second leaf, spread 100 Lbs of 34-0-0. About week to 10 days after a rain, spray with gly and spray once more as needed

spoon, where in the hello are you getting your information, Atrazine is a premerge chemical, not a burndown chemical

premerge, aka, means to prevent grasses/weeds from emerging, you have to start clean to stay clean

Latest posts