Corn consumption

TheLBLman

I haven't seen a coon on any of my cameras for months. Maybe not since about this time last year. Coyotes? You bet. I think they are why I see no Coons.
I'd speculate the coons simply have such an abundance of food & food choices the past month & now, they don't have to move around much, and be more scattered. Their food includes ground-nesting birds. They eat the eggs, and when they can, the sitting hen as well. They also seem to have more opportunities to eat fish now.

TheLBLman

When I used to feed corn (been @ 20 yrs now since) the raccoons & crows generally got more of it than did deer.

Then I had some aflatoxin "develop" in some "aflatoxin-FREE" corn (which costs more, but is certified aflatoxin-free), and that killed all the turkeys in the area. After that one batch of corn developing aflatoxin,, it took years for the local turkey population to recover. I haven't fed any corn since, as just don't think it's worth the risk if turkeys (and any other birds) are of value to you.

There is no doubt in my mind that one of the factors going against turkeys (and quail) thriving has to be the increase in people feeding corn. As the corn feeding has increased, the turkey & quail populations have decreased. Probably not the main reason, but a factor in their declines.

Ski

There is no doubt in my mind that one of the factors going against turkeys (and quail) thriving has to be the increase in people feeding corn. As the corn feeding has increased, the turkey & quail populations have decreased. Probably not the main reason, but a factor in their declines.

I agree 1000%. I wish hunters would educate themselves on the benefit vs. risk of putting corn out.

DoubleRidge

When I used to feed corn (been @ 20 yrs now since) the raccoons & crows generally got more of it than did deer.

Then I had some aflatoxin "develop" in some "aflatoxin-FREE" corn (which costs more, but is certified aflatoxin-free), and that killed all the turkeys in the area. After that one batch of corn developing aflatoxin,, it took years for the local turkey population to recover. I haven't fed any corn since, as just don't think it's worth the risk if turkeys (and any other birds) are of value to you.

Is there a way to add more that one like?

I completely agree...no way could I agree more.

There are so many other things more benifical to wildlife to spend your money on....for starters, one gallon of chainsaw gas will give a much greater return on investment verses a bag a corn...heck, verses a pallet of bagged corn.....stop feeding coons and other nest raiders and open up the canopy to allow sunlight to the forest floor and improve nesting habitat, fawning ground and create tons of healthy forage for wildlife. Also, as mentioned...in our humid climate dont risk afltoxin contaminated feed...it is deadly to poults and other song birds so theres no way I'd feed it...especially this time of year.....other options....spray some grassy areas and disk to disturb the soil, open up the seed bank and watch the benifical forage develop...then theres burning....the list is long of items that cost less and are much more benifical than feeding corn.

Ski

There are so many other things more benifical to wildlife to spend your money on....for starters, one gallon of chainsaw gas will give a much greater return on investment verses a bag a corn...heck, verses a pallet of bagged corn.....stop feeding coons and other nest raiders and open up the canopy to allow sunlight to the forest floor and improve nesting habitat, fawning ground and create tons of healthy forage for wildlife. Also, as mentioned...in our humid climate dont risk afltoxin contaminated feed...it is deadly to poults and other song birds so theres no way I'd feed it...especially this time of year.....other options....spray some grassy areas and disk to disturb the soil, open up the seed bank and watch the benifical forage develop...then theres burning....the list is long of items that cost less and are much more benifical than feeding corn.

All great points. Of all the habitat and hunting related things you could spend money on, corn ranks pretty low in the "cost : effect" department.

TheLBLman

Another aspect to "feeding" anything (from a stationary "feeder") is increased predation of whatever is eating the "feed".

Those who think they would find the evidence of this carnage are mostly mistaken. Bobcats, dogs, and coyotes can quickly figure out that a feeder location makes for the perfect "ambush" location. These predators will not necessarily kill their prey in front of your trail cam, but often on just close-by trails.

Then they may just walk off with their prey (such as fawns & turkeys), consuming it elsewhere.

Think you can find the evidence of a fawn that has been ambushed near your feeder, then eaten by a coyote or a bobcat? Think again. You usually will note nothing, other than wondering what happened to those fawns.

More deer under 6 months of age die annually than any other age group of deer. How many bones have you ever found from dead fawns? If killed (or found dead) by a coyote, you can expect no evidence that a coyote consumed it all.

Worse, it is the male fawns that get preyed upon at a higher rate, mainly due to their greater curiosity, often just walking towards danger.

BPhunter

Another aspect to "feeding" anything (from a stationary "feeder") is increased predation of whatever is eating the "feed".

Those who think they would find the evidence of this carnage are mostly mistaken. Bobcats, dogs, and coyotes can quickly figure out that a feeder location makes for the perfect "ambush" location. These predators will not necessarily kill their prey in front of your trail cam, but often on just close-by trails.

Then they may just walk off with their prey (such as fawns & turkeys), consuming it elsewhere.

Think you can find the evidence of a fawn that has been ambushed near your feeder, then eaten by a coyote or a bobcat? Think again. You usually will note nothing, other than wondering what happened to those fawns.

More deer under 6 months of age die annually than any other age group of deer. How many bones have you ever found from dead fawns? If killed (or found dead) by a coyote, you can expect no evidence that a coyote consumed it all.

Worse, it is the male fawns that get preyed upon at a higher rate, mainly due to their greater curiosity, often just walking towards danger.
Sorry, I just don't worry that much about it. Game of all sorts is very abundant around here. They all have to eat to survive.

DoubleRidge

Sorry, I just don't worry that much about it. Game of all sorts is very abundant around here. They all have to eat to survive.
I agree...all animals have to eat to survive....but concentrating mamas with fawns around a corn feeder, making it easier for predators, isnt natural....and then theres aflatoxin contamination thats deadly to poults and other song birds....but I do agree that some fawns dieing to predation is natural....I just prefer to do all i can to help the animals that I like to hunt and eat...and feeding corn to them is of little to no help and in many cases can have negative effects.

BPhunter

I agree...all animals have to eat to survive....but concentrating mamas with fawns around a corn feeder, making it easier for predators, isnt natural....and then theres aflatoxin contamination thats deadly to poults and other song birds....but I do agree that some fawns dieing to predation is natural....I just prefer to do all i can to help the animals that I like to hunt and eat...and feeding corn to them is of little to no help and in many cases can have negative effects.
Okay.

BSK

Is there a way to add more that one like?

I completely agree...no way could I agree more.

The deer are POUNDING pokeweed in my timber-thinned areas, as well as blackberries.

Ski

How many bones have you ever found from dead fawns? If killed (or found dead) by a coyote, you can expect no evidence that a coyote consumed it all.

That's one thing I respect about coyotes. They compete with me for deer but at least they consume what they kill. I went up on the hill last summer because I saw buzzards & could smell a carcass. When I found it, it was a spotted fawn rotting away completely intact. When I checked cams I saw that there had been two loose dogs chasing a doe & fawn. I suspect that was the fawn. Whatever killed it did it for fun and left it. Had it been yotes or a cat there wouldn't have been a carcass for me to find. But a dog kill will be left to rot and for some reason coyotes nor bobcats will scavenge it. Stray and loose dogs burn me up to no end. When I see them in my woods, they don't make it back home.

DoubleRidge

The deer are POUNDING pokeweed in my timber-thinned areas, as well as blackberries.
Same here....if you want ripe blackberry you better pick them the moment you see them....every time i say I'll come back tomorrow and pick those the majority will be gone...and we have a bunch this year.

BSK

Same here....if you want ripe blackberry you better pick them the moment you see them....every time i say I'll come back tomorrow and pick those the majority will be gone...and we have a bunch this year.
I noticed that. Each time I checked them, no more than just a few ripe ones. But the red ones were getting fewer and fewer. As soon as they ripen, the deer and coyotes eat them up. I finally found one area where there were too many blackberries for the deer/'yotes to consume. Picked a few.

Now I have to figure out what to do with them other than eat them by the handful!

Attachments

• Blackberries1.jpg
    Blackberries1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 26

DoubleRidge

That's one thing I respect about coyotes. They compete with me for deer but at least they consume what they kill. I went up on the hill last summer because I saw buzzards & could smell a carcass. When I found it, it was a spotted fawn rotting away completely intact. When I checked cams I saw that there had been two loose dogs chasing a doe & fawn. I suspect that was the fawn. Whatever killed it did it for fun and left it. Had it been yotes or a cat there wouldn't have been a carcass for me to find. But a dog kill will be left to rot and for some reason coyotes nor bobcats will scavenge it. Stray and loose dogs burn me up to no end. When I see them in my woods, they don't make it back home.
I've noticed the same with raising chickens...a fox or coyote will take a chicken and eat it...no evidence in the yard but feathers....where domestic dogs grab one and shake it, kill it, drop it...then chase down another one for a thrill kill....then just leave them in the yard....game over.

And I can honestly say that my neighbors dont have this issue with my dog because I keep her put up.

BSK

They love it, but may like young ragweed even more!
I have in the neighborhood of 100-plus acres of native ragweed coming along right now :D

And unlike corn, ragweed is very high in soluble protein.
I've got more ragweed than you can shake a stick at. That's probably why I'm not seeing a lot of browse pressure on it yet. But by August, they'll be pounding it.

Latest posts