Cool experience this morning

TNGunhunter

So, today was my 3rd avail day of hunting. It also marks the 3 hunting day in a row that I've seen the two spotted fawns from the stand. Today, they were with Mama, came in at about my 1 o'clock, walking parallel with my stand about 60 yards out. Once they got to my 5 o'clock, I figured, "what the heck", and did my best impression of a fawn call. The doe stopped dead in her tracks and looked back. The wind was blowing right in her face at that point and I figured I was busted. Sure enough, a couple of seconds later, she blew and started to run off. I called at her again, and again she stopped. By this time, she was nervously curious, and walked back the way she came, all the while looking in my direction. Unfortunately for me, she never came closer than 50 yards, but I spent the next 10 minutes keeping her attention. She'd blow, and I'd call. She walked back and forth, trying to see me. Finally, she must've gotten bored, because she gathered her fawns and walked back the way she came. So, if anybody is wondering if a doe will come to a fawn call, well, I'm still not sure of that, but it sure kept her interest for a while. If it had been rifle season....oh well. Maybe next time....#still a cool experience!!

TNGunhunter

JKC":3fippi7b said:
Just wondering if you where you trying to kill the doe, and would the fawns can get by without her? I also have a lot of spotted fawns.
I would have shot the doe had she come in range. It is my understanding that, at this time of year, the fawns are able to take care of themselves without their mother. I saw them for 3 days in a row, and the first day I saw them, they were all by themselves, so I already thought someone got Mama. It was still a very cool experience, and I was not disappointed at all that I didn't get the doe. I knew, when the time was right, I'd get a shot on one, and as it happens, I got a little fork horn the next morning (yesterday). As stated by someone else, Great day in the woods.

megalomaniac

Fun hunt, and yes, you can absolutely slaughter momma does with a fawn bleat. Not sure that is the right thing to do, however. Glad you are seeing fawns. I saw 12 adult does this past weekend, only 1 had a fawn.

WORM82

Neat encounter. I know most do shoot a doe with fawns but I guess I'm a softy lol. I can't even do it in muzzleloader or rifle season

Latest posts