Cooking Despair....

TennesseeRains

Well now.

To those who don't know - although I am not color blind, I am red-green color 'deficient'.

Basically that means that I see colors - just not what everybody else does. I was always the guinea pig in middle school, high school, college, etc. about hereditary color vision 'deficiency'...

I love to eat; the doc has advised my abstaining from my love a little - but I can cook all I want!!!! I love to cook.

Because of my color vision issues, I really can't see red all that good - which meant that when I cooked a steak...I normally made it shoe leather - overcooked - the WORST thing a man could do to a fine piece of meat!!!

Over time, I adjusted and cooked by time...this posed shallanges as different cuts of meat required different amounts of heat and time...

Problem now is FISH and CHICKEN.

I just CANNOT get it down! Try as I might...no matter what I do - I either grill them too fast, or worse yet, too long...

The wife and begats 'say' it's good, but they're just trying to not hurt the feelings I don't have.

I know what good eats is...and I ain't grillin it....

Any suggestions???

bowriter

R.I.P.
Spend a few extra bucks and get the best thermometer you can find. I doubt I could cook without one and I can see colors.

JimFromTN

Target has an electric meat thermometer for around $10. It has an alarm that you can set to the temp you want the meat. If you don't mind spending about $20 or $30 more, you can get a remote control meat thermometer.

Also, with fish, I just cook it until you can flake it with a fork. No need for a meat thermometer.

green doe

I use a thermapen thermometer. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/the ... mapen.html It might be expensive but it's super quick (no waiting for the dial to stop as the grill's flames are licking at your arm hair) and the part that reads the temperature is right at the tip (so it can measure thin foods like chicken cutlets). My brother, father and I all have one.

I even use it to measure the temp of my baby's bath water. (After working in pizza restaurants through my youth, I can't really register hot well.)

BigAl

As has been said, use a thermometer, either on the meat or on the grill.

Chicken typically takes about 20 minutes for a boneless skinless chicken breast at 350-375, on a grill or in the oven. If its not de-boned, takes 5-10 mins longer, depending on the size.

Fish is easy to over cook and depends on the size of the fish. A good rule of thum for starters is about 3-5 mins per side. That can vary, for instance I cook salmon on a cedar plank on the grill, and it takes longer.

Wildcat

green doe said:
I use a thermapen thermometer. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/the ... mapen.html It might be expensive but it's super quick (no waiting for the dial to stop as the grill's flames are licking at your arm hair) and the part that reads the temperature is right at the tip (so it can measure thin foods like chicken cutlets). My brother, father and I all have one.

I even use it to measure the temp of my baby's bath water. (After working in pizza restaurants through my youth, I can't really register hot well.)

Green Doe beat me to it.

For a person like you this is what you need more than anything.

Think about this a minute. You have a problem seeing color my problem is I'm deaf. I can talk to anyone on the telephone like normal people, same with my cell phones. I HAVE to have a different set up than normal and it cost me far more than it should but it WORKS.

Those remote thermometers do work and I own several but they are NOT what you are looking for. you are looking for something to help with your problem and what Green Doe post is it. I have 2 of them and I guard them along with my best knives, I don't take them anywhere I cannot lock them up.

You SEROIUSLY need to be thinking about getting one of these. if it was me with your problem i would not think anything about spending $250 if it DOES WORK and SOVES THE PROBLEM.

Latest posts