Condo Stand/Shooting House

BSK

In the second video.....I would add the cross braces to the legs BEFORE I started the process of trying to stand it up.....that's allot of pressure on the brackets that hold the legs......looks like a nice blind though....they have several of these for sale at the co-op fertilizer building in Dickson.
I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I watched a bunch of videos of people trying to put up these box stands, and I swear, no one understands physics! Everybody screwed up multiple times.

Glad to hear they have them at Dickson Co-op. Saw they were a dealer and was planning on stopping by to see if they have any I can look at.

DoubleRidge

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I watched a bunch of videos of people trying to put up these box stands, and I swear, no one understands physics! Everybody screwed up multiple times.

Glad to hear they have them at Dickson Co-op. Saw they were a dealer and was planning on stopping by to see if they have any I can look at.

I've seen some of those videos as well....crazy....The main co-op on the by-pass had a few of the blinds out front...but the fertilizer building on hwy 48 has several of them set up near the entrance.... couple of different sizes.

BSK

What no one seems to understand is that the condo itself weighs much more than the legs. So when they tie off to the base of the condo, run the rope over the end of a very long upright board, and then pull the rope lifting the stand, the condo drops down while the legs flip up in the air. Most learn they have to tie down the ends of the legs first, but honestly, there has to be a better way. I wonder if just having someone stand on the ends of the legs would work? Also, no one seems to understand just how hard the stand is going to fall when it passes the tipping point of being stood upright. Why don't they have someone on the opposite side with a rope holding the stand from falling hard?

DoubleRidge

What no one seems to understand is that the condo itself weighs much more than the legs. So when they tie off to the base of the condo, run the rope over the end of a very long upright board, and then pull the rope lifting the stand, the condo drops down while the legs flip up in the air. Most learn they have to tie down the ends of the legs first, but honestly, there has to be a better way. I wonder if just having someone stand on the ends of the legs would work? Also, no one seems to understand just how hard the stand is going to fall when it passes the tipping point of being stood upright. Why don't they have someone on the opposite side with a rope holding the stand from falling hard?

Absolutely correct....I watch some of the videos online and just shake my head.

Our situation was a little different being we built them modular.....but we still had to stand up 12' legs with 2x6 joist platform and sub floor...the base alone was heavy.....so we opted to lift with tractor bucket to stand it up verses pull it up.....but we tied a rope from loader frame to platform.... leaving a few feet of slack....so once we got to the tipping point the rope caught it.....then we just drove forward slowly to set it into position verses letting it slam down or tip over.....took a try or two to get the slack in rope set to correct length but it worked good.....one thing was for sure....I had watched enough videos to know how I wasn't going to do it!!

DoubleRidge

Absolutely correct....I watch some of the videos online and just shake my head.

Our situation was a little different being we built them modular.....but we still had to stand up 12' legs with 2x6 joist platform and sub floor...the base alone was heavy.....so we opted to lift with tractor bucket to stand it up verses pull it up.....but we tied a rope from loader frame to platform.... leaving a few feet of slack....so once we got to the tipping point the rope caught it.....then we just drove forward slowly to set it into position verses letting it slam down or tip over.....took a try or two to get the slack in rope set to correct length but it worked good.....one thing was for sure....I had watched enough videos to know how I wasn't going to do it!!

As mentioned in previous post....we lifted platform with rope attached to catch it after tipping point....then used loader to lift each prefabbed wall plus the roof system into place.... without a tractor we wouldn't have been able to do this....with frontend loader me and a buddy were able to assemble....only challenge was lifting the roof system into place....loader only goes so high....so we had to lift roof system from bucket into position....that got a little sketchy....but it worked out (those are temporary braces on legs we attached to stand it up....we later installed permanent braces once we had everything together)

Attachments

• IMG_20201006_183203167~3.jpg
    IMG_20201006_183203167~3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20201009_090224176~2.jpg
    IMG_20201009_090224176~2.jpg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 66

RxHunter

I am a huge fan of the SC-4 sportsman condo. It's bigger,the windows are sealed and fold inside. The windows on the regular condos don't seal so water gets in. They also open out which the deer see easier.

I have pallet forks for my front end loader so I drive it where I want it, pick the condo and metal stand straight up and put the legs under then brace. If loader is big enough you can move stand with legs attached to another spot really easy. I usually push it into the tree line to help hide it.

BSK

Using a tractor's bucket is a great idea. Don't have forks for the front end loader, but even starting to life to tower with the bucket would be a huge help.

Also love the idea of keeping a rope tide from the bucket to the stand so it doesn't fall hard.

RxHunter

Using a tractor's bucket is a great idea. Don't have forks for the front end loader, but even starting to life to tower with the bucket would be a huge help.

Also love the idea of keeping a rope tide from the bucket to the stand so it doesn't fall hard.
Forks are money well spent. They also push and pick up tree limbs much easier than a bucket.

gatodoc

We put steps on ours instead of ladder. Anchor legs with garden stakes bought at ace hdwe.. Not as strong as T post but hasn't failed yet.

Lift ours with forks on tractor and insert legs. Stood the first one with ropes and legs inserted but tractor lift is so much easier.

we also put 3/4" plywood on floor bolted to frame and add 2 4" vents on each for circulation. Keeps mold out.

put a yellow no pest strip inside every spring and no live wasps in fall. They will occasionally build under edge of door. Carry spray first trip in the fall

Attachments

• C9C0000D-10F6-4484-9717-9B0DD1558388.jpeg
    C9C0000D-10F6-4484-9717-9B0DD1558388.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 178

DoubleRidge

We put steps on ours instead of ladder. Anchor legs with garden stakes bought at ace hdwe.. Not as strong as T post but hasn't failed yet.

Lift ours with forks on tractor and insert legs. Stood the first one with ropes and legs inserted but tractor lift is so much easier.

we also put 3/4" plywood on floor bolted to frame and add 2 4" vents on each for circulation. Keeps mold out.

put a yellow no pest strip inside every spring and no live wasps in fall. They will occasionally build under edge of door. Carry spray first trip in the fall

The loft style steps are so much nicer than a ladder that goes straight up.... especially when you have a pack, rifle, etc.... sadly at today's prices you can put $100+ in nice loft style steps....then $120+ in post...then cross braces....lumber prices are ridiculous.

JCDEERMAN

I would give anything for a front end loader. So much stuff could be done a lot easier around our place. Due to timber prices, this weekend we went around and cut cedar trees that we will use as posts for our shooting houses. The smaller ones will also be cut and notched for ladders. Most of the ones we will build will only be 6-10 feet off the ground.

JCDEERMAN

Our one custom-made tower stand is on 10-foot 4x4s, and that's PLENTY high for overlooking a food plot.
Back when we were a lot younger, we built a couple about 15 feet off the ground 7' x 7' - WAY unnecessary. Now, most are about 6 feet off the ground at the base and are 4' x 6'. That's a very adequate height and size for most anywhere

megalomaniac

Make it AIRTIGHT! Whatever you go with, having scent completely contained will allow you to hunt it 3x as much before deer start avoiding it.

Personally, I make my own. This one cost me $800 back in Oct last year. Pressure treated floor/ platform/ elevated braces, the rest is regular lumber and smartside paneling.

Attachments

• 20201012_123635.jpg
    20201012_123635.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 337

CATCHDAWG

Some of y'all are to fancy! Here's mine. Built it in 15 and still as good as the day I put it up. Built the base and house separately, hauled in two pieces. Put base in the ground and set house with pallet forks. I rarely hunt out of it as I'm not a field guy. Only use it in rain or extreme cold but it's been a productive stand looking over a food plot.

Attachments

• 15E189CC-E8E3-4CF0-B6F1-7B45DF78408A.jpeg
    15E189CC-E8E3-4CF0-B6F1-7B45DF78408A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 109

Latest posts