Commercial Chicken Houses

jejeffrries71

With these commercial chicken houses going up in West Tennessee, I was wondering if any of you have experience with how this impacts wildlife behavior. Do the animals get used to the lights, sounds of the fans, the smells, ... and eventually ignore these? Do some animals intentionally avoid and proximity to the operations? Are some animals possibly attracted? What is your experience hunting where these have been built?

Midnight rider

A friend of mine has these and he lets me hunt his property. I have shot several deer and turkey there and it didn't seem to bother them at all. I actually shot a very nice 8 pointer from right behind one of the chicken houses.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I have 3 breeder barns 500 yards from my house. I haven't noticed any difference in critter sightings since they finished construction.

Tom Collins

I have hunted chicken farms and have a pullet farm, it does not affect hunting at all. Some of best deer hunting is at broiler farm.

JW01

I don't think the litter affects the turkey. Farmers have been fertilizing their fields with litter for decades. Actually their is probably less of it being used now than before

Tom Collins

I don't think the litter affects the turkey. Farmers have been fertilizing their fields with litter for decades. Actually their is probably less of it being used now than before
It's just easier to blame farmers for all of humanity's problems lol

Volbuck777

I killed my biggest buck a 154 inch 11 pt behind one. Plus a pile of other deer around them. Always loved hunting around them I think it masks all other smells.

Boll Weevil

Running dogs in eastern NC years ago deer would very often head straight to chicken and hog houses / lagoons to try and lose the hounds. More often than not, it worked too. In that area, deer had actually learned to use the caustic odor to escape.

megalomaniac

In Lincoln Co the turkey population decline sure looks like it coincides with the increase in chicken houses and the use of chicken litter. The turkey population is no where close to what it was 15-20 years ago.
The decline in turkeys is due to overharvesting males before hens have been bred and a 10x fold increase in predators (both nest predators and predators of adult birds)

Only very rarely do young chickens get infected with Histoplasmosis which is transmitted to turkeys through litter.

rukiddin

I grew up hunting around chicken houses and still do when I go back home to NC. Zero effect whatsoever on deer hunting. Worked in the industry for several years and a lot of the farmers would let me hunt their property. And have several friends who own houses. Killed piles of deer within 100 yds of chicken houses.
Gotta buddy who had commercial grow out houses for hogs. Each house has a 4' tall chute connecting them so you can move/sort hogs from house to house. We would sit in those chutes and kill deer that came out in fields behinds the hog houses.

Lincoln Co Archer

The decline in turkeys is due to overharvesting males before hens have been bred and a 10x fold increase in predators (both nest predators and predators of adult birds)

Only very rarely do young chickens get infected with Histoplasmosis which is transmitted to turkeys through litter.
I can agree to a limited extent with your post Mega regarding predation, and I certainly cannot argue from an infectious disease perspective. From the 50,000ft up POV, having seen the glory years of turkey hunting in our county I simply cannot agree with the overhunting aspect. The pressure the turkey population received was probably as much or more than anywhere else in the country, and the turkey population sustained if not grew. And then in a matter of a couple of years the population nose dived.

I do think that from 1995-2005 were the absolute peak years in turkey numbers and that there are natural cycles in population. However this doesn't "feel" right. There are many areas of the county that are void of turkeys now that carried hundreds of birds per square mile. I believe that it would be hard to prove that natural predation could have that impact.

Latest posts