Coming to the darkside

Rabbitkil

Just ordered a centerpoint sniper 370 to try this fall, have al2ays been big into compounds ... always figured crossbows would be awkward to use so before jumping to one of the higher quality ones the reviews on this one seems good enough to try without a huge investment. For those that have one any advice or tips?

When crossbow hunting from a stand do you chocolate chip cookie it once your in the stand or do it on the ground and add the bolt when you get it into the stand?

Grill-n-man

My boy uses one when we go and while it's easier to chocolate chip cookie on the ground I usually wait until we are in the stand and he is settled in.

fairchaser

I always chocolate chip cookie mine at the base of the tree and pull it up pointing down empty. Once I settle in I place a bolt in. I reverse this exactly when descending. I never carry it cocked unless I'm stalking a deer. I've seen it take fingers off like they were a stick of butter. Another thing is to have some way to secure it up in the stand without holding it. I use one of those rubber coated gun rests bolted to the stand on one side. The Xbow fits here just behind the trigger while the bow lays across the front bar. I don't like hanging it on a hook because it requires too much movement to get into position.

cbhunter

You will love this crossbow! The only downside is the trigger as it has a EXTREMELY long pull. With just a little practice, you will be grouping like you never imagined possible. The best advice I can give you is to use the bolts that come with it only to discharge into the ground at the end of your hunt. They are simply inconsistent. Buy you some quality bolts to go with it.

Mr.Bro

Don't want to step on Kilbys thread but a similar question.
How do you guys decock your bows? I tried carrying a bolt with a field point and just shoot it in the ground, Results in a lot of broken bolts or bolts stuck into roots.
Now I carry a small bag target in my truck to unload but still have that problem of carrying a cocked xbow.
Looking at maybe a Mission Sub One next year.

Forvols

I use my cocking rope to de-chocolate chip cookie. Remove bolt put the cocking rope on and hold one handle. With your foot in the stirrup (same as you would when cocking) Keep tension on the cocking rope handle and release trigger, slowly let the string down the rail into an uncocked position. I also just leave the cocking rope on my xbow in a "ready to chocolate chip cookie" line up.

here is a video of de-cocking an Excalibur crossbow. I have never owned a compound crossbow, so not sure it would work the same way.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click

Latest posts