Colorado Big Game Online Applications

4onaside

Today was the first day that you could apply for the big game limited license draw online. I'm in! No hurry, however, as the deadline is Apri 1. But when you're gung ho, you just gotta be doing some sort of hunting deal, particularly on a cold, February day. lol

4onaside

Just go to: Colorado Division of Wildlife. Then, Hunting, and the first thing that you see will be "Buy a License/"

megalomaniac

I'll be in for an OTC archery tag for elk as I continue to build elk points, and I'm hoping I'll get drawn for mulies in the same unit (although success for NR's with the number of points I have is only around 10%). I'll be building more points for antelope as well.

I'm gonna have some real good hunts in 10 years, LOL!

4onaside

megalomaniac said:
I'll be in for an OTC archery tag for elk as I continue to build elk points, and I'm hoping I'll get drawn for mulies in the same unit (although success for NR's with the number of points I have is only around 10%). I'll be building more points for antelope as well.

I'm gonna have some real good hunts in 10 years, LOL!
I have four(elk)points, and I honestly would like to give them to you, if that were possible, because I'm already beyond what the bible gives us, and accumulating enough(your 10 year reasonable estimate) would really be pushing the envelope for me.
My submission yesterday was for prairie goats. The odds of me making it to October by either getting drawn or a landowner tag, are much better than the 9 and 10 preference point stuff for elk! lol

Tree Man

I have 8 points each on deer and elk in Colorado. Will be eligible for a deer tag in 09. Going to take atleast 2-4 more years to draw an elk tag for Unit 61 according to my outfitter.
This will be my last hunt in the Quality Game Units since it takes so long to build points and draw tag. I ain't gettin' any younger.

PO Cedar

I'm looking at getting a preference point for mule deer in an area I want to backpack into to hunt them. Those mountains get a little tougher each year. I'm monitoring the severe winter impact out there which currently is around the Gunnison Basin and above Durango in the San Juans. Deer and sheep are the main concerns now but if they keep getting dumped on elk are going to be hurting too. They've got supplemental feeding going on and are asking for volunteers/donations to help out. I'm waiting until closer to the deadlines on CO and Montana for I decide.

PO Cedar

The bonus cow elk tags have been put on hold even though they posted the license price in the new brochure. Mother Nature may take care of the overpopulation. CO DOW will decide after the game counts and before the season opener.

megalomaniac

Look at it this way... you can gamble and probably get one of the deer tags this year with very few points.... however, if the kill is severe enough, the odds of taking a good buck will be slim at best, and you just wasted those few points. I've heard reports the big rut-stressed bucks and fawns are dying like flies already. I suspect many will hold out this year just to build points.

Elk are better adapt to the severe winters... it's nothing for them to migrate 50-100 miles to get out of the snow, and they can get to grass underneath deeper snow than the deer.

Latest posts