Clucks and Purrs - But not together

tree_ghost

The only time I've purred at a bird was after we killed one and scattered the flock and was trying to draw a gobbler back to double up....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coldfusion

Good post, I'll pay more attention to this. My mother and step father feed the wild turkeys on their land. Literally sometimes they have upwards of 70 many are long beards but of course a lot of hens and they will be within 5-10 feet. Last time I was there I really started listening to their sounds and while eating all they did was purr. When the first gobblers showed up, about 5, my mother went outside and said "yall ready to eat" they all gobbled, then a slew of turkeys come running from the woods. It's pretty cool. These birds are wild but basically pets they are so tamed. Hunting is not allowed there. I'll pay attention to any clucking during the feeding next time I go down.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

catman529

Setterman":2yv2qtbz said:
Don't think I've ever purred to a bird....
killed my first one following a hen that came running to my novice sounding cluck and purrs. But now I rarely if ever use the purr, it's mostly yelps with a few clucks, or some cutting to get a response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalsPal

:D

At least he said, "in my opinion". There are no absolutes. I have clucked AND purred to many gobblers that ended in their demise, and will continue to do so when the situation calls for it.

As far as making a putt instead of a cluck, I guess it's possible, but with practice, that shouldn't be a problem as there is a pretty distinct difference.

Jbird22

I disagree with him. I've heard plenty of hens clucking and purring softly as they were feeding.

Latest posts