Clover and Chickory herbicide

deerchaser007

I control the weeds by mowing. Chicory should be kept at a height not no higher than 10 to 12 inches. This usually requires 2 mowing for me. Which takes care of the weeds in turn.

Chicory is a weed,... and most broadleaf herbicide is gonna kill it. Thats why i don't take any chances. I'l mow it...........

tennbassethound

deerchaser007 said:
I control the weeds by mowing. Chicory should be kept at a height not no higher than 10 to 12 inches. This usually requires 2 mowing for me. Which takes care of the weeds in turn.

Chicory is a weed,... and most broadleaf herbicide is gonna kill it. Thats why i don't take any chances. I'l mow it...........
When you mow it about how low is it cut to, right now mine is only about 7 or 8 inch, can i cut it to 4 or 5, thats the highest level on me mower?

Arrow Flinger

Never cut your chicory or clover less than 6 inches due to the heat cause you could stunt or knock them back. Gve your food plot a hair cut in a since. The plants kinda slow down when they get close to maturity,so when you cut them back you generate new growth out of them. Which is the same for weeds whem sparaying, if they are mature cut them and then spray when they begin to regrow.

deerchaser007

I'll add to the above in a drought year such as this its better just to nip the top out of it. Thats all i have done this year. And about all i'm controling is the chicory ,.. my clover looks terrible. Can't get no rain.

BUT,.. in average rainfall years i usually mow in late may when it reaches 10 to 12 inches high. Then i'll spray for grasses sometime after,.. then mow again in august if needed. And as stated by arrow flinger,.. no less than 5 or 6 inches.

Quailman

Terry,
you can actually spray Pursuit at 2-4 ounces per acre, but it costs about $538 per gallon. I'll be spraying it on my clover/chicory plots this weekend. I have a severe problem with poorjoe in some of my plots, so that is why I am spraying. Normally, I would just mow them.

Boone 58

Arrest is expensive, go to the co-op and get a generic grass killer with the ingredient sethoxydim.....It is cheaper than arrest and is the same thing, just labeled under a private label such as "Hi-Yield".

Latest posts