Chuck Swan Gobbler

Tennessee Lead

Great man!
Congratulations.
You're piling them up with that High Standard!
I like that Bacon to.
Enjoyed your story. From what I hear that's not an easy place to kill a turkey. Way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Lead

cowhunter71

PickettSFHunter":12eevp02 said:
After another cold night sleeping in the vehicle, I went back to the same area I hunted yesterday. I ended up hearing what sounded like two roosted together and had to walk a long ways to get to them. They ended up being very near the road so of course as soon as I had gotten set up, at least 3 vehicles moved in blowing every locator call known to exist. They went quiet at that and each vehicle moved on off. The turkeys moved on off also.I could tell by the fresh scratching it was a large group so I just followed the trail of scratching slowly across several ridges and hollers, playing cat and mouse for about 2 hours with a courtesy gobble maybe 2 times. I came to a small saddle with 2 spurs coming off of it and could hear turkeys on one of those spurs. So I set up facing that and called sparingly. Probably 30 minutes later, I heard twigs snapping and leaves crunching directly behind me, I figured another hunter was walking in on me, so I turned to look and it was 3 gobblers! I couldnt do anything about it, they walked up to maybe 20 yards, then started skirting me to the right. At about 40 yards, I turned, waited for one to separate, and shot left handed. Gun used was an 11-87 12 gauge with 3" Fed TSS #9's and a Wright's #3 choke. Calls used were a Gooserbat Bacon and a Gooserbat High Standard Crystal. 18 something pounds, 7/8 spurs, 10.25 beard. Im Proud of this one.
a46c4d3adcf5694f8836203df5ca0d8d.jpg
Congrats bud. Drove back through camp yesterday after cut off time to see how you did and seen you had left out. Figured you either killed one or got a head start out on that weather last night and this morning. We left yesterday as well, not wanting to deal with that cold mess this morning. No luck for us. Had the safety pushed off twice yesterday morning on the same Gobbler, but could not get him any closer than 60 yards. Let him walk off twice to reposition and it finally cost me when i ended up spooking him. Those wide open hardwoods make it tough to move on one. My buddy in the chair actually had one of those googans drive right to him on the backside of a field he was set up in. Turkey had been gobbling since daylight on a bench below the field he was in. These a##hats drove around his truck, which was parked at the road leading to the field, and literally, right up to 'em. Un friggin believable. Still a good quality hunt though. Were able to get on gobbling turkeys both days and at least be in the game ;) I will admit, that was the coldest this Florida Swamper has ever been while turkey hunting :) Congrats again

Harold Money jr

I was on that hunt and you completed something to be really proud of. They gobbled very little and were hard to find. Congratulations, you definitely have my respect!!

PickettSFHunter

Harold Money jr":4z7hag1b said:
I was on that hunt and you completed something to be really proud of. They gobbled very little and were hard to find. Congratulations, you definitely have my respect!!

Did you happen to see how many were checked in at the close of the hunt? I just know mine was #5. I also never noticed how many hunters had signed in

Latest posts