Chilhowee/Abrams Creek Regs

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I was planning on fishing Chilhowee Lake/Abrams Creek this weekend with my dad. Upon soliciting advice on this site I was informed that there may be some special regulations regarding Abrams Creek and single hook lures, but I cannot find any regs in guide about Abrams Creek. Will I be ok to throw a roostertail with a treble hook? Will I be ok to even have them in the boat?

Thanks in advance, Ryan

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Wow! I had no idea. Is there any kind of exception since it attaches to the lake? Maybe it is considered Chilhowee up until a certain point? I wasn't planning to restrict my fishing to just Abrams Creek, and was planning on having my full tackle box and bait with me, but may have to adjust my plans. Who should I contact about the ins and outs of the regs?

scn

If the link Robert gave you doesn't have the Park boundary described, I would call the GSMNP and get a description of the boundary. It won't matter how you access Abrahms Creek. Once you are inside Park boundaries you are under their regulations.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Thanks scn. I didn't know if it was a TWRA or GSMNP enforcement issue. From the comments that I have gathered from other places online I am not the only one who is ignorant to the special regs in that area. Thanks to all for the heads up.

Jugfish

The National Park fishing regs begin at the point where you can't take a boat any further upstream. It starts at the fast water. Back in the day they used to have a steel cable stretched across the stream about 20 feet high with a wooden sign indicating so. It got washed away in a big flood a long time ago. Its been 25 years since I have seen GSMNP personnel patrolling up there. That was back when a Park Ranger used to live at the house next to the Parkway intersection.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Jugfish said:
The National Park fishing regs begin at the point where you can't take a boat any further upstream. It starts at the fast water. Back in the day they used to have a steel cable stretched across the stream about 20 feet high with a wooden sign indicating so. It got washed away in a big flood a long time ago. Its been 25 years since I have seen GSMNP personnel patrolling up there. That was back when a Park Ranger used to live at the house next to the Parkway intersection.

That's kind of what I was curious about. I have found many older references online to people fishing with minnows and treble hooks for trout, bass, etc.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Jugfish said:

Jugfish is right. I can remember they use to have a GSMNP boundry sign. With or with out the sign if you get caught not following the GSNP fishing regs in Abrams Creek and you are inside the GSMNP you will be ticketed.

Latest posts