Check your bearin's

BigCityBubba

A friend of mine who keeps his boat at my place was going to take his boat back to Nashville and changed his mind last minute. When we were putting it back in the shop after he had it out this weekend, it was making a horrible grinding noise and when I looked at his trailer tire, it looked like the bearing had come out of the hub and the shaft was riding on the side of the hub.

Lt.Dan

One should do a yearly check and repack of trailer bearings. It will save a lot of heartache. I always replace bearings on any used trailer I buy. It's cheap insurance that you won't be stuck on the side of the road.

BigCityBubba

I noticed on the hub that there was a grease fitting in the center of it. The other wheel has a buddy bearing on it which makes me think there was a buddy bearing on the one that blew out. If there is already a grease fitting on the hub, it seems like a buddy bearing on top of the grease fitting blocking access to it is not a good idea. They make hub caps that have a rubber cover for those types of hubs, don't they?

Lt.Dan

I noticed on the hub that there was a grease fitting in the center of it. The other wheel has a buddy bearing on it which makes me think there was a buddy bearing on the one that blew out. If there is already a grease fitting on the hub, it seems like a buddy bearing on top of the grease fitting blocking access to it is not a good idea. They make hub caps that have a rubber cover for those types of hubs, don't they?
Yes they do. Keeps water and dirt out.